Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glasses / spectacles and medicals (merged)

I have send this prescription to my friend optometrist. He will let me know if the glass can be made. He checks the prescription (free of charge) and adjusts it if necessary. My ophtalmologist had prescribed reading inserts that were sub-optimal (not tested but calculated), he corrected that.

EBKT

Thank you very much, dirkj. FWIW, the lenses are like in post 18.

I actually have these done now. Well, nearly. The guy said “nobody can do +0.5” so he suggested changing the +0.75 to +1.00 and forgetting the +0.50 reading insert (obviously, he went for the mid-point). Well, I could see the rationale and it “looked ok” on a quick test, but it really does not work in the real world. Having +0.75 is vastly better – even without the reading insert, and having the +0.50 insert makes it perfect, with both eyes focusing at the same distance on the kneeboard. I checked it with the test kit this morning. The guy here is going to re-do the left lens but I am not yet sure if he can do the +0.50; I told him about Seiko but got no reply.

If I can get the specs made exactly as per my numbers, with my existing frame, for say 150 quid (and only the left lens needs doing) I would go for that He just phoned saying he can do the left lens, from Seiko, and charge me just £50. So let me run with that for now

I hope others here find this useful even if nobody sez nuffink :smike: I know from off-forum feedback that lots of people take a keen interest in “medical threads” but obviously almost nobody wants to post about it.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Selectspecs and their competitors are not using ready-made lenses but rather make them individually for every order on programmable machines.

That would make a lot of sense. I think the “lens catalogue” system became popular because the lenses can be made very cheaply in China and this opened up the way to various online shops selling glasses for 10-20 euros (not bifocals) albeit in fairly crappy frames. OTOH, how did opticians do it in decades past? Were they all custom made by some factory?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

OTOH, how did opticians do it in decades past? Were they all custom made by some factory?

The sperical ones were factory standard. When I was a kid, my grandmother once took me along to order a new pair of glasses; I remember seeing a big cabinet with tiny drawers full of paper envelopes with round lenses. The shop would then trim these blanks to fit the frame. On the other hand, my other grandmother had astigmatism and had to wait several months to get the glasses custom-made.

Meanwhile, in Japan they are coming up with a high-tech solution.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Yes; Ultranomad posted that in the post above. You can just bet the battery will go flat just as you want to read something important, like an approach plate

Administrator

To dig out this old thread… I have been wondering about the general question of whether it is possible for any spectacles to improve visibility.

It is a physical impossibility to increase contrast, using a passive system e.g. passing the light through some material. This is because materials are linear in their attenuation.

The only thing which can be done this way is to selectively filter a multi colour scene. For example, somebody told me years ago that green lenses make white buildings surrounded by forest more visible. This has obvious applications for flying, for finding airports, without using a GPS. But green lenses bugger up the vision of lots of other colours…

There are amazing claims made in the ski scene – example. There is a real problem when out under a very even cloudy sky, when the snow texture is hard to see. The ground is just one uniform shade of grey. But I am convinced the two side by side images there are fake… photoshopped with a big tweak on the contrast slider

And the ski scene is full of snake oil – like a lot of these sporting areas.

Aircraft have however crashed into snow slopes, due to there being no visible texture. Same with calm water.

The other thing which is obviously possible is to improve vision of a too-bright scene, simply by attenuating everything. That’s what sunglasses do… And you can do the same with hearing. The principle there is simply attenuation to avoid saturation.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It is a physical impossibility to increase contrast, using a passive system e.g. passing the light through some material. This is because materials are linear in their attenuation.
The only thing which can be done this way is to selectively filter a multi colour scene.

That’s not bad, isn’t it? Eg using an orange filter to increase the contrast of clouds vs sky, which is useful for sailplane pilots. OTOH, a blue canopy diminishes this contrast (and demonstrates that the owner isn’t too interested in the sky and more concerned about looks).

There has been a thorough evaluation of several glasses targeted for pilots as well as generic sunglasses which included an analysis of the spectral filter characteristics. It was published in the German pilots magazine Aerokurier in the summer of 1995. I can search for it and provide it, if you are interested.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

Yes please; that would be very interesting to read.

Administrator

Here it comes.

Aerokurier_1995_5_sunglasses_pdf_cloud

local copy

[ edited to drop in local copy of PDF, and remove large images ]

Last Edited by a_kraut at 26 Dec 10:41
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

That is impressive – thank you!

I will try to google translate it. No luck so far; google takes 1MB max

Administrator