Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glasses / spectacles and medicals (merged)

I just read that I can upload pdf directly from now on. Thanks for editing.

As more than half of the regulars here appear to be native german speaker, you’ll find help. Maybe some native English speaker can approach the chore to translate it.

Last Edited by a_kraut at 26 Dec 10:34
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

All done, as best as I can

You still have the 2hr edit window as usual.

Google Translate is horrible, but the verdict seems to be that a blue-removing filter (a yellow lens, basically) is the best for flying.

That 1995 article is a funny demo of the internet: almost none of the products mentioned come up on google

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

DeepL is way better

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

In my experience, polarised lenses are the second best thing we can do for contrast when skiing in bad no-contrast weather. The best would be staying in bed or in a pub or whatever the respective venue can offer. And I have given up finding sunglasses allowing me to see outside and the cockpit at the same time.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 26 Dec 11:51
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

OTOH, polarizing glasses are useless in planes (canopy, lcd screens).

If you use lightly tinted glasses (<70% absorption, preferably orange, brown, not green), „Gleitsichtbrille“, you will be fine.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

a_kraut wrote

orange filter to increase the contrast of clouds vs sky

There was a Barry Schiff article a long time ago saying that yellow glasses were best for IFR when trying to see through cloud at minima, but that extended use gives headaches. My ski goggles are orange/yellow and they really bring out the contrast in the snow; they don’t give me headaches.

I have brown tinted prescription ray ban style Converse sunglasses for flying, which with a cap cut out almost all bright light. The arms are very thin, but they still stop a perfect seal with the headset. Unfortunately the tint advances aeronautical sunset by about 20 minutes

With photos and scans, google translate reading from the ipad camera is good, or at least acceptable but saves a fortune on Chinese translators

Last Edited by Capitaine at 27 Dec 01:51
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

This is an interesting summary.

They specifically claim (as many others do) that yellow lenses improve low light contrast.

The problem is that most colours will mess up the colours which a pilot needs to see.

Polarised ones are no good for obvious reasons, and photochromic glasses don’t work for driving or flying because there is not enough UV coming through the windows to activate the material.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flying Sunglasses (preferably under £100)

I did use the search function and found a couple of old threads with some references and broken links, that is why I start this new one.

So I’d like to buy some new sunglasses for flying. Some requirements:
- Non-polarised (obviously)
- Comfortable with headsets
- Of a robust construction (for instance, not like the Ray-Ban Aviators which legs are extremely flimsy and get bent or broken just by looking at them).

Up until now I had been using prescription Ray-Ban New Wayfarer and they did the job.

Ideally I would like the Randolph Aviators (yes, I admit I was influenced by Don Draper wearing them, haha). But they are a bit expensive although if someone says they are well worth the money I may consider them:
https://www.flightstore.co.uk/clothing-c287/aviator-23k-gold-frame-p10973#attribute%5B56%5D=865&attribute%5B54%5D=826

These Ray-Bans RB3528 also seem appealing. I kinda like the version with red legs. And they cost under £100 which seems reasonable:
https://www.fashioneyewear.co.uk/ray-ban-rb3528.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ZD75K2V4AIVlvhRCh0wggSWEAAYASAAEgIOe_D_BwE

Finally, these Altius Aviator glasses seem good for the job:
https://www.rapideyewear.co.uk/en/sunglasses-for-pilots/204-aviator-sunglasses-for-pilots-uk.html

If anyone knows any of these or could offer some comments that would be appreciated.

EDDW, Germany

I wanted glasses with greater wrap around to lower peripheral obstruction. I found Serengeti Como (recommended for flying somewhere else) and they have been perfect for hundred hours so far. They are non-polarised (previously, my polarised Ray Ban Aviators were an issue) and have gradiant tinting. The fit also feels more secure and stable because it more hugging to the face.

EGL*, United Kingdom

My god! A real discussion about sunglasses! :-) I would think this is one of the most discussed and debated topics on pilot forums. I have a tendency to forget my sunglasses somewhere on a terrace while of after drinking a nice glass of wine or a cold beer and have made the mistake to buy sunglasses with polarized glass, which worked well as sunglasses but not to see the screens in the cockpit. I would have to lift my sunglasses a bit from my head to see the monitors. Now just recently I have bought some Oakley sunglasses as adviced by a friend (KLM captain, really!)

The interesting thing is that almost 90% of the glasses/sunglasses market in the world is in the hands of one company called Luxottica! based in Italy. You have a Ray-Ban, fine, comes from Luxottica. Oakley, well Luxottica bought that company. Ah! Prada … made in the Luxottica factories.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message