Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flugleiter in Germany - pointless?

vic wrote:

Opening hours are not a silly idea of the concierge on the mic but a deal between the operator of the airfield, club or town, and the towns nearby for preventing wars with inhabitants due to aircraft noise in early or late hours – or around midday, Switzerland may be more critical of this, don´t know.

Opening hours has nothing to do, per se, with required presence of any personnel, Flugleiter or otherwise. All Swiss uncontrolled airfields have opening hours, but there is no requirement for on-site presence and many operate with very irregular attendance, usually depending on weather conditions and time of day. PPR is a separate discussion. I think the following is an elegant PPR approach, but is just an example as others have already indicated. BTW, note the current opening hours, although being fair this is the most liberal airfield in Switzerland in that regard.
LSZK Speck-Fehraltorf

Last Edited by chflyer at 10 May 10:49
LSZK, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

vic wrote:

Freedom of flight and flexibility don´t go together with PPR in my eyes ,give me 10 flugleiters instead any day.
You don’t need either.

It was not me coming up with wanting to have a fire truck before landing, Ibra told his story. Scratching my head how one would call the fire truck at an unattended airfield ?
He also wrote “I would have diverted in answer was NO or fire truck was not available on those occasions but would land without when it’s business as usual”

The bizarre thing here is why a Flugleiter is so necessary in Germany when every other country in Europe are doing fine without them.

Thank you Sir, never a truer word was written.

Here at Glenswinton we get along fine with no nazi-inspired Flugoberst, no stupid anglo-control-freakish “PPR”, and no landing fee. Some people do offer a fee, which is politely refused. Frequent flyers sometimes offer to help maintain the facility, which may be gratefully accepted.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Come on, Jacko, don´t disgrace yourself with same Hitler/Nazi things you find in most primitive mainly English language forums after 20 postings to anything that may be the topic. Flugleiters are just your fellow pilots doing various services to all concerned and on the airfield. They are mostly unpaid on club airfields or fulltime paid on public airfields owned by towns or counties. They are there not because of big government but the owner of the airfield has decided to have them do all sorts of jobs. It is no point and useless to compare very different types of airfield and countries as conditions are simply not comparable. Your Glenswinton grass strip classifies for the middle of nowhere , offers near to nothing in services, no nearby neighbours to complain so no reason to have somebody for welcome party. But then, why should I land there at all , better go on and enjoy the view ? Very different when looking at airfields in densely populated areas where flugleiters keep an eye on opening hours or warning pilots about noise sensitive places nearby. Why – because there are characters of pilots who don´t care about their behaviours when they left – so sorry to say, you can´t bet on pilots for keeping the place alive for years to come when the neighbourhood has had enough , no argument about transport infrastructure , this is no real factor here for to keep an airfield active or even put public money into it. Times are different today, again, would you today accept a blacksmith´s workshop next to your home, opening at 7 AM , closing 8 PM, even on weekends (airfields) ??? That was common long time ago but I am quite sure the majority on this forum would call their lawyer to expel that shop from their neighbourhood. over and out Vic
Last Edited by vic at 10 May 22:12
vic
EDME

Come off it Vic, the original stated purpose of the Flugleiter (in 1936) – and Germany’s current prohibition against landing and taking off from informal airfields – was to prevent Jews escaping from the Reich without paying tax.

https://de.zxc.wiki/wiki/Flugleiter

It is tragic that even today there are people who shamelessly try to justify this sort of totalitarian hangover from the third Reich on spurious, unsubstantiated grounds of safety or convenience. I simply can not understand how Germany dares to preserve such tainted legislation, which no liberal European country seems to need.

We have seen in the last year how easily people can be frightened into trading essential liberty for temporary safety. This is a British and European disease and as Ben Franklin observed, such people deserve neither liberty nor safety.

As for your blacksmiths shop, we live and work in the countryside and have no sympathy for city folk who forever bleat about “peace and quiet”. Currently we have 40 ton loads of timber rumbling across our runway, through our farmyard and 10 yards from our house at 3 am every working day. No problem. Our countryside hums and crackles with the sounds of farming, forestry and (in winter) gunfire; it’s not a city park.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Flugleiters are just your fellow pilots doing various services to all concerned and on the airfield. They are mostly unpaid on club airfields or fulltime paid on public airfields owned by towns or counties. They are there not because of big government but the owner of the airfield has decided to have them do all sorts of jobs.

This is complete nonsense. Nobody has an issue with people hired / fellow pilots performing services, even manning the radio. The issue is that they or similar services are mandatory and flying is not permitted if unnecessary services are provided.

As for the rest – Germany and Austria are pretty unique in their requirement for this sort of personnel; and also pretty unique in their absolute prohibition of aircraft operation outside of designated airfields. Sure, there are equally silly rules in most countries, but all your arguments are simply disproven by the fact that a huge number of airfields of all size successfully and safely operate in many, many places around the world.

Biggin Hill

you find in most primitive mainly English language forums after 20 postings to anything that may be the topic

This is from Germany’s domestic GA forum (google translate); posted by its owner

What is the most likely reason that the requirement continues? There seem to be so many debates about it. If the posts here are representative then there is a significant minority in favour of retaining it. It sounds like one can get an exemption if one really wants it; what are the obstacles to getting that?

I didn’t know Austria has this also.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I didn’t know Austria has this also.

I’ve heard this is being reviewed / abolished. @Snoopy will know more.

Jacko wrote:

the original stated purpose of the Flugleiter (in 1936) – and Germany’s current prohibition against landing and taking off from informal airfields – was to prevent Jews escaping from the Reich without paying tax.

That is factually wrong in many different points – even the (in many “facts” also faulty) article you quote yourself (correctly) states that Flugleiter requirement in some parts of Germany has been established already before the Nazi Regime – obviously not that long before because flight has not been around for that long…

It’s nothing more than “pencils are evil because Nazis used pencils” argument – and historically wrong as the infamous Autobahn myth.

Germany

boscomantico wrote:

For instance, according to German regs, before any operation, a runway inspection has to be carried out and properly logged by the airfield operator.

If you come to the airfield, and are the only person there, you become the airfield operator – you do your own runway inspection and log your own movements.

Andreas IOM

Jacko wrote:

and no landing fee. Some people do offer a fee, which is politely refused.

And indeed, sometimes a free lunch is offered to the visiting pilot :-)

Last Edited by alioth at 11 May 09:05
Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message