Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is it possible to fly somewhere for dinner in UK/Europe?

When flying in the states last year I made a point of flying somewhere for dinner, because it’s actually possible over there.

Here I am not sure. Example, flying out of Shoreham which closes at 1900Z, with the indemnity scheme for based pilots I can arrive back as late as 2000Z. Of course we all know that an aeroplane cannot physically land at an airport without express prior permission.

So, looking at destinations approx 1hr away whereby I could arrive at say 1700Z, have 2hrs for dinner at a nearby or airport restaurant, then depart at 1900Z for 2000Z arrival.

Firstly looked at Guernsey, this is all doable on paper, except that the handling company say they are short staffed so cannot accommodate a departure past 7pm local.

Second, Le Touquet. Airport restaurant is open late but customs go home at 1845 local.

Calais, the restaurant closes before dinner time.

Ostend then seemed the ideal place, a 1hr flight, the airport and customs are H24 and the restaurant at the airport is good and open late. But, the FBO closes at 8pm local, so I can’t depart at my required time without paying 395 EUR handling.

There is nowhere in the UK worth visiting that A) has tarmac runway, B) has a decent restaurant and C) is open late (with the exception Leicester who do a curry night sometimes).

Anyone have any ideas for where this might be possible?

On the other hand I can go flying to little grass strips in my taildragger without worrying about closing times, because there are none. Whereas with an attempt at more serious GA touring I’ve spent half my afternoon looking for potential destinations only to have to give up. What a shame.

Last Edited by IO390 at 12 Jun 15:57
United Kingdom

In Europe that’s where Germany is unbeatable, with 90% of airfields having a restaurant.

ESMK, Sweden

I came through the same process a few years ago Sorry for the disappointment, we don’t tell all the roadblocks in the first place otherwise nobody would learn to fly !

I did dinner flights twice to Abbeville LFOI (near summer solstice) and once to Le Touquet LFAT. Great memories. From Paris, Reims could be done too. Amiens maybe.

I would say Southend, eating at the airport hotel (which was good in my experience) is doable.

LFOU, France

IO390 wrote:

There is nowhere in the UK worth visiting that A) has tarmac runway, B) has a decent restaurant and C) is open late

What about Great Massingham and walk through to the Dabbling Duck ?

OR ..

IO390 wrote:

Ostend then seemed the ideal place, a 1hr flight, the airport and customs

You will have to live with the 7pm UK closing time at the FBO but here you can hire some bikes and cycle 10km to this place .. https://www.derattevallebrug.be/

Best ribs anywhere, but you need to get the FBO to call them to reserve a table

@IO390, I think Oxford EGTK is a good one, although you would have to take a taxi to either Oxford itself for a meal or to Kidlington village.
When Southend resumes normal hours (22:00 local), Holiday Inn is within walking distance.
I know of other places where you could arrive late, but that is for based pilots only.

EGTR

Excellent restaurant at Sywell but I don’t know about closing times.

France

Jujupilote wrote:

I came through the same process a few years ago

Haha, same here.

Arne wrote:

In Europe that’s where Germany is unbeatable, with 90% of airfields having a restaurant.

Except most airfields close at 1900 LT. My home base closes at 2030 which makes an early dinner within a radius of 150nm possible but not without constantly looking at the watch. Thankfully I have have EDDN as 24h alternate which limits the stress once airborne but it still doesn’t leave much room in case the waiter is busy.

In practice it only really works between the smaller double D airports (EDDx). Something like EDDE-EDDC would probably work well. But then you need to find a restaurant in the city centre because airport food is crap.

Last Edited by Clipperstorch at 12 Jun 19:09
EDQH, Germany

Why not just do lunch instead?

Forever learning
EGTB

I was very recently been told from an informed person at my airfield (tower staff) that due to recent amendments in the requirement of “Flugleiter” I could land now any time. And if I were to need the runway lights I should call in advance so that they leave them on (pilot operated lights via com).

This enables me to go for lunch at any place within the range of my steed, and in the same night to return home.

Because otherwise it’s the opening times of home airfield that’s limiting.

I still can’t believe that to be true.

Germany
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message