Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flugleiter in Germany - pointless?

Oh, definitely. It‘s perfectly open of course. Otherwise, the NOTAM would mention that the AD is closed. An AFISO is required only for IFR operations. But they di have regular Flugleitera to operate the airfield VFR.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

arj1 wrote:

New EASA rules – do they change anything re: subj?

It means that the rationale for having the Flugleiter goes away. But according to earlier posts Germany was going to drop that requirement anyways. (But possibly due to the same changes to ICAO Annex 6 that was the motivation for the EASA decision.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What German law has been driving this requirement post-1945?

I know absolutely nothing about this but have been told by a number of German pilots that the law goes back to the 3rd Reich, to stop people (Jews, basically) escaping the country. Maybe this is BS (as I said this is what I have been told) but I don’t see what has changed since that “problem” has not existed since 1945, and EASA has no jurisdiction on the ground (generally speaking).

It’s a good move for sure. Might we see a lot of private runways in Germany? There is certainly plenty of wealth in GA there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We are talking aerdrome rules for condition of use and air traffic provision? these are not ICAO standards or EASA laws? but rather national laws? things may change one day but won’t put hope on it

Germany systematically require “the IFR man” (AFIS or ATC) for IFR operations, when he is not around only VFR operations are allowed, now in 99% of places, this also require “the VFR man” (Flugleiter)

One has to ensure that AFIS is available before flying IFR, even for privately operated aircraft, there were rumours on this website that the “VFR dudes” are also in charge of checking that people are not flying VFR in IMC when “the IFR chaps” are not around…I highly doubt this is true? I don’t think this was an issue with OVC006 landing, maybe one should get worried with OVC002? especially if German LP is not printed on their license

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Mar 15:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

back to the 3rd Reich, to stop people (Jews, basically) escaping the country

Have heard the same…

Peter wrote:

Maybe this is BS

Think so

Peter wrote:

Might we see a lot of private runways in Germany?

Don’t think so. “Certifying” a runway here is quite some task you really have to pursue, and it’s not getting easier. We also already have quite a lot of airfields over here.

At present it doesn’t really look like anything is going to change soon.

Germany

The lack of input on this is interesting. This has been a super hot topic in Germany since for ever.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The lack of input on this is interesting. This has been a super hot topic in Germany since for ever.

Peter, I’m surprised as well! Or maybe pilots just don’t believe that anything would change? :)

EGTR

Peter wrote:

have been told by a number of German pilots that the law goes back to the 3rd Reich, to stop people (Jews, basically) escaping the country

Same here. Heard it countless times since I moved to Germany. I personally doubt it, given the willingness of the country to erase “anything 3rd Reich related” after the war. In any case, true or not, it is a very persisting urban legend among German airfields!

Coming from France and the flexibility of auto-information at virtually any airfield, including large ones after TWR operation hours, I’ve always found the German system very restrictive. Why be on the ground at 1800 when the sun sets at 2100 on nice summer evenings? Those are beautiful hours to fly. Now we “officially” do not need a Flugleiter since Nov 2022 anymore. Curious to see what will happen in practice. I’ll believe it when I see it!

etn
EDQN, Germany

It is easy to rind out when. In 1923 the initial Luftverkehrsgesetz (LuftVG, air navigation law) permitted operating aircraft in any open area. In 1935 and 1936, operations were restricted to approved airports, and prior permission by the Luftaufsicht became mandatory if one was established, and in 1939 the Luftaufsicht got even more powers.

The text of these laws is freely available on the internet, so there is no doubt when they were introduced. It is a bit arder to establish if every airport had a Luftaufsicht.

Why this was introduced is not documented in the law. but I strongly suspect that safety of aviation was not their primary concern…

So yes, “Flugplatzzwang” and “Flugleiterpflicht” in Germany and Austria were introduced by the. Nazi regime, and kept when the national laws were redrafted after the war.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message