Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flugleiter in Germany - pointless?

Ever since GPS caused the bottom to fall out of the nav business, lots of people have been working hard to create a way to keep busy… Look at the BS in the old PRNAV thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Finlande managed to get one of these approved, I think they work great for official instrument training and small commercial operations (Ambulance, Police) and help making IFR more sustainable

https://www.essp-sas.eu/communication/news/egnos-groundbreaking-working-agreement-signed-class-g-aerodrome-non-instrument-runway/

For private flyers, who even needs this? we can land IFR in Golf using GPS OBS (or stopwatch and PLOG paper) with 1500m visibility even under 300ft ceiling in every EASA country, one can even do it legally under VFR on PPL with paper map if he fancy scud runs !

Putting aside SERA.3101

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Apr 10:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Patrick wrote:

Note that this does NOT remove the PPR requirement or change anything about the actual opening hours. So PPR is still required.
Exactly, and because PPR remains a requirement, I’m pretty sure quite a few airport managers will still require someone to be on-site, due to their control freakiness. And I’m pretty sure some will also remain their silly PPR fees, to keep the traffic away from “out of hours” times. My former German homebase for example charges 40 euros per movement during PPR times. No way Germany becomes a second France…

Patrick wrote:
Many airfields are looking at options to automate this as much as possible though. For our airfield, I’m trying to achieve an automatic approval directly after the online PPR request has been sent (unless the AD is really closed)
That’s already a common procedure in Norway and Switzerland. It would be even better when there is one national PPR-website (like “myppr.no”) for all airfields. Maybe AeroPS could arrange something like this?

Patrick wrote:
For payments and recording the flight movement (“Hauptflugbuch”)
Besides the great solutions from AeroPS, an airfield could also consider to offer a PC within the public briefing room, where pilots can enter their flight details and pay landing fees using a self-service card-terminal or put cash in a signed envelope. Also, if there is a restaurant available on-site, pilots might beable to pay their fees there.
Last Edited by Frans at 04 Apr 15:04
Switzerland

It would be even better when there is one national PPR-website (like “myppr.no”) for all airfields.

What I don’t understand is what does that actually do.

I mean, you have these options

• let them in during ops hrs
  • refuse them outside ops hrs

so the server code will just be returning two possible messages according to the time Well, if you have a fly-in with 500 ULs and there is no room, there would be an admin facility to refuse all traffic. Obviously this is all silly, so why do it?

Unmanned PPR is just silly. We have it here too e.g. Bembridge which is PPR by email and the person emailing back has no idea who is actually parked there.

In the case where PPR is a local govt requirement, I can see such a bogus website-PPR meeting that requirement…

And who will pay for it? Even the simplest website is around €10/month for hosting and a few k to set up. Then you need somebody to keep an eye on it, so say €100/year if no action is needed.

Maybe AeroPS could arrange something like this?

They did the huge slot booking mess at EDNY in 2022 and we all hope they have gone on a PHP course since

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On out of hours PPR fees, are these required for PPR using app/website upfront? what happens if you cancel?

Let’s wait and see a bit. While a pinch of scepticism is certainly in order, on the other hand, there are several airfields that are really determined to improve things (the usability of the airfield) for pilots, including non-based pilots.

But yes, this change in ICAO Annex 14 will not suddenly cause things to change fundamentally in Germany. It will be bit by bit, and in case
of many airfields, it will not change a thing, ever.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

Unmanned PPR is just silly.
Welcome to Europe. A lot of countries I know, have unmanned PPR. For example, most of Danish airfields are PPR for self-service outside AFIS hours. Almost all Norwegian (non-Avinor) and Swiss GA fields have PPR. Quite a lot Italian Aviosuperifce fields are PPR too. etc. etc.

Ibra wrote:
On out of hours PPR fees, are these required for PPR using app/website upfront? what happens if you cancel?
It depends on the airfield. Most of them won’t charge you anything, but some do… For example, Buochs (LSZC) charges up to 350 CHF if you cancel within 12 hours upfront or after 3 pm on Friday for planned movements during the weekend. I’m not sure if they would charge small GA during the week, when the Tower is open, but for canceled movements outside TWR opening hours, they’ll do.
Last Edited by Frans at 04 Apr 17:03
Switzerland

Most of these ‘unmanned PPR’ are just airfield log keeping? it’s required by regulations here and there…
I visited Pittsford (no PPR), it has an airfield log (required by some law), it was inside the bin !

Frans wrote:

Buochs (LSZC) charges 350 CHF if you cancel within 12 hours upfront or after 3 pm on Friday for planned movements during the weekend.

I guess that covers the cost of paving the tarmac

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Apr 17:05

The next step towards more flying without Flugleiter presence is taken. Germany has relased a new NfL (as always, behind a paywall also also German only) which modifies the basic regulations for RFF at airports.

In a nutshell, it says that at the smaller GA airfields, anything but Part-CAT does not necessarily require RFF and therefore no Flugleiter to take off and land (let‘s not discuss what is Part-CAT and what isn‘t; it gets tedious quickly).

Again, airfields still need to make changes to their operating license to make use of it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Wo kann man die denn finden?

There’s nothing yet on the servers of LBA or DFS. Do we still have to pay money to download new NFLs??

Germany
Sign in to add your message