Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Full lockdown imposed in two large states of Austria: Salzburg and Oberoesterreich.

The lockdown is imposed on everyone, also people who are vaccinated and is comparable to lockdowns imposed there earlier. Most shops, all gastronomy and entertainment and most institutions are shut down, there is a curfew at night and restrictions for leaving your home during daytime.

The lockdown will be in force from Monday until at least December 17th according to Austrian media.

Austria has the worst explosion in case figures and hospitalisations as well as deaths in months. Some experts now expect that the now 5th wave will widely exceed everything we’ve seen before from Covid, not only in Austria but in large parts of Europe. Looking at larger parts of Eastern Europe as well as Switzerland I agree.

Switzerland will most probably do what it does “best” sit on their hands. At least until after the referendum against the Covid certificate and the modified law have passed. Only by then, it is too late.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

no, we are not locking up people at home.

the g2 rule nationwide means, that people who are not vaccinated or immune by a prior sars-cov2 infection have to stay home,
with the exceptions: buy food and medicine, go to work, support family members in need or other very essential activities (see your shrink (flight instructor)).

situation actually is very bad here. worse than a year ago.
question is wether health system could cope with it.

number of infected persons was approx 75.0000 a year ago/ 650 in icu (max 1200-1400) now we have 140.000/460 in icu (the effective reproduction number 1,25)

percentage of fully vaccinated population 65,6% which is far to low to have much effect against this 4th wave rolling

the data and situation are very much pointing to a full lockdown (nationwide following salzburg and oberösterreich) starting coming monday.

implication for air traffic are sour again and even more acid for skiing of english folks in austria.

Last Edited by cpt_om_sky at 18 Nov 20:36
Austria

Mooney_Driver wrote:

there is a curfew at night

I know that some countries have had curfews as a lockdown measure. What additional value does that provide over

restrictions for leaving your home
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I am not sure anybody knows, but the speculation was that much of the spread was among people in bars and such, and a curfew stops that. You can close the bars but that just causes people to form tight crowds in the street outside. It is relatively easy to enforce this, compared with restrictions on leaving your home which obviously cannot be total (people have to go shopping etc) and then enforcement is impossible without measures of the sort used in 39-45 in some countries.

Looking at these curves

I doubt anybody knows what is happening. Some things clearly have an effect but most don’t.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I doubt anybody knows what is happening. Some things clearly have an effect but most don’t.

That´s pretty much what I think. But I doubt that governments will impose less restrictions anytime soon. Unless, like Sweden, they´ve done so from the beginning. I also have the impression that most people want to be told what to do since they seem to be unable to decide for themselves.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

Some of the graphs here look bad. Those German numbers look horrible. Same in NL and AT.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

lockdown rules are pretty clear in salzburg and oberösterreich:

Durch den Lockdown darf der private Wohnbereich nur mehr als folgenden Gründen verlassen werden: Deckung der Grundbedürfnisse, Abwendung von Gefahr, Hilfe für Andere, berufliche Tätigkeit und Ausbildungszwecke, eine Impfung sowie physische und psychische Erholung im Freien. Restaurants und Hotels haben zu, auch der Einzelhandel ist geschlossen. Ausgenommen sind nur der Lebensmittelhandel, Drogerien, Apotheken und andere Betriebe für den täglich notwendigen Bedarf.

there is no curfew at night.

all the rules are here:
https://corona-ampel.gv.at/aktuelle-massnahmen/regionale-zusaetzliche-massnahmen/salzburg/

we have the highest number of infections approx. 140.000 now/ 75.000 a year ago. but not icu and deaths, relativ and absolut to numbers.
3500 hosptitalized a year ago/ 2500 now. 690 icu a year ago/ 490 now.

but situation is very difficult and will become worse most likely.
we have about 65,7% fully vaccinated of the population to date. we shoud have 80-85% to counteract this 4th wave.

Last Edited by cpt_om_sky at 18 Nov 21:15
Austria

at the moment situation is very fluid in austria.

of course austria and germany would like to keep (schengen) borders open as long as possible (especially for winter tourism and english folks tumbling down our skiing slopes).

but as infection numbers are exploding (not so much hospitalizations, icu and deaths)
and every computer modell implying that with a vaccination percentage of 65,7 we just would not make it (health system imploding in 3 to 4 weeks)
if we are not going to complete nationwide lockdown within the next 7 to 14 days,
next forced steps here would most likely be strict.

as the economy has to survive, though, and we love to have our “glühwein and schiwasser” up in lech am arlberg with the english folks,
i very much hope and assume that schengen would allow tourists to come to austria g2+ (vaccinated or immunized by sars-covid2 infection and pcr test) by mid of december.

Last Edited by cpt_om_sky at 18 Nov 21:37
Austria

no, as the history of covid border restrictions showed within the european union (and/or the schengen countries) it is not a question of schengen or not schengen.

not even the eu could/would impose general border restrictions for all eu countries concerning all possible non eu (non schengen) countries.

most probably austria by itself (as any other european country in accordance with eu law) would decide on the actual covid situation
given in the country the people are coming from, which restrictions would apply for visiting tourists or people coming from this country.

so for example if the UK is doing fine in the next weeks with very low covidrates there might be very little restrictions (2g would be good, i suppose)
for you to come to austria, but of course, there would be some kind of “reisewarnung” issued by the uk to go to austria if covidsituation is bad here.(non schengen situation).

Last Edited by cpt_om_sky at 18 Nov 22:17
Austria

cpt_om_sky wrote:

there is no curfew at night.

So some Austrian papers got that wrong. I was wondering what it should do on top of everything else.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message