Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

So this is the Swedish paper everyone is talking about

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3949410

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

New study out of Sweden on waning effectiveness of vaccines: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3949410

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Certificates of people who have had it should come down to 6 months.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim?

Mooney_Driver wrote:

According to some people I know who have a better understanding for the data than I do, say that while those who are sick from Corona despite dual vaccinatioon is still small, it is growing.

You can easily look up that data for yourself: https://www.covid19.admin.ch/en/vaccination/status?vaccStatusDevRel=rel

Well, as of yesterday I know and know of more people who are vaccinated and got covid, than people not vaccinated and got covid. A colleague of mine got sick this week and tested positive. His entire family got it, that is his wife (vaccinated) and his children (probably not vaccinated). A couple of weeks ago I had a visit by another aircraft home builder and pilot (He flies in Norwegian btw, and could tell that for each vacant pilot job, there are more than 1000 applicant ) He was also vaccinated and got covid some a couple of months ago. His “girl” friend (they are both in the early 50s ) got covid from the vaccine itself. She got real sick, as high as 42 fewer, hospitalized etc. Didn’t ask if it was AZ or Pfeiser, probably pfeisser. I know several who got real sick of AZ though. And so on and so forth. In fact, except young people (below 18-ish) I know only one single person who got covid. He got it long before there were any vaccines. I know of several though, but less than those with the vaccine.

The vaccines are obviously no miracle cure to get rid of this disease. That is my personal experience, and fits well with the more objective numbers reported. This fall has been the worst ever regarding flu and this RS virus also, and common cold. The RS virus (RSV) is infinitely more dangerous for young children (below 2), but hardly talked about until now. Due to the corona restrictions (1 m etc), the immunity among the population against RSV has fallen dramatically. Young children and babies being hospitalized now en mass, is a direct consequence of corona restrictions. They get sick and die, so we didn’t have to and it’s not even a joke.

This only shows that the vaccines is the one and only remedy. And it’s not about protecting the “public”. The public is much better off with no corona restrictions, in particular young children. It’s all about protecting one self, even though it is very far from 100% If a large percent of the population, lets say >60% has the vaccine, then other restrictions will be very bad for the population due to other diseases blooming like wild fire once the restrictions are lifted, and in particular bad for young children.

I see people crying for restriction due to the record high covid positive here. This is nothing but madness, and I hope local and governmental authorities don’t give in for this. So far there is no indication they will, but there is no guaranty, as the media keeps bombarding with “horror scenarios” of the high numbers.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Just one comment on RSV. It is very infectious and almost everybody gets it before they are two, and then repeatedly after that. It is mostly harmless, but it is a major cause of death in infants, (not much left to die of these days, happily), and a minor cause of death in old people.

The important point is that there are no extra infant deaths because of this RSV surge. These unfortunates “would have got it” last year but didn’t because of restrictions.

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

It’s all about protecting one self, even though it is very far from 100%

This is my strategy, and it has worked so far, but I’m a “work from home” slacker, and I avoid contact with humans whenever possible.

I have no idea if my J&J vaccine is helping in any way, and not sure how I would know. I just behave exactly the same as before I was vaccinated.

One area that is still very confusing to me is why we don’t invest in either better air circulation and/or better air filtering. This is proven to be effective, and while a bit costly, how much does a single case of Covid cost the health system?

I have gone into places and then immediately walked out due to a very clear lack of air circulation. No thanks!

I dread my upcoming trip to the US via commercial carrier, not so much because of the time on the aircraft, but all the “cattle herding” that goes on before and after each flight. Perhaps I should just pick up an IR rating and a ferry tank and fly over in my RV.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

LeSving wrote:

The vaccines are obviously no miracle cure to get rid of this disease.

They are not and that has been said from the beginning, only it is not what people hear. They want their lifes back, they want to live without Covid and they want to forget all the negative stuff that Covid has used, so when vaccinations came they thought them to be deliverance from evil.

Well, to an extent they are. They DO massively reduce the effects, hospitalisations and deaths. Which is not a contradiction to your statements (safe the one that someone got Covid FROM the vaccination which is impossible) but rather a reconfirmation of this. Clearly, the more people get vaccinated, the more we will know who got it despite. But the huge part of those had it as a major inconvenience, a heavy flu like illness and be done with it. Most probably, with the tremendous risk of infection that exists vaccination nonwithstanding we will ALL get it at some stage. But those who are vaccinated have a large chance to live and not to have severe sympthoms or having to be hospitalized.

We can see very well indeed what Covid does in countries where only a small share of the population is vaccinated and where fake news and distrust have prevented more than 30% of taking the only chance they have to prevent severe illness and where most think that measures are for others. These countries are disaster zones. The conditions there are alike the horriffic images we still recall from Bergamo and similar places, overcrowded hospitals which can’t deal with the onslaught of patients.

Now, as the 4th wave has fully started, countries one by one will re-introduce lockdowns and more strict measures because they get overwhelmed again. And again. And again. Nothing was learnt from the first 3 waves and it has been clearly shown that even countries which have a high vaccination rate still have to deal with large infection numbers and sick people albeit with a lot less hospitalisations and deaths. That scenario, fully vaccinated populations where Covid becomes a flu like illness which is in most cases managable without hospitalisation or death is by now the best case scenario. But it requires what people are notoriously bad at: Discipiline, self-control, the willingness to forego egoism and certain personal pleasures for the forseeable future. Life with Covid will never be the same as it was without it, not for a very long time.

Mankind still is in denial about that. Unless this changes and people realize that Covid has changed the way we have to deal with each other for good, the thought of pre-covid times will rule our lifes rather than figuring out how we can actually live with it. If denial continues, we will see wave after wave after wave and we will have a society which will eventually resort to violence.

LeSving wrote:

Well, as of yesterday I know and know of more people who are vaccinated and got covid, than people not vaccinated and got covid.

Regardless of vaccine efficiency, this should not be surprising when vaccination levels are high. I would guess that in your social circle (as in mine) vaccination coverage approaches 100%?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

This is my strategy, and it has worked so far, but I’m a “work from home” slacker, and I avoid contact with humans whenever possible.

This will have to become the new normal, indeed.

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

I dread my upcoming trip to the US via commercial carrier, not so much because of the time on the aircraft, but all the “cattle herding” that goes on before and after each flight.

then why go? I personally have limited travel on public transport to the absolute minimum. If I could, I would never fly commercial again.

The cattle hearding is indeed the largest risk of infection I’ve encountered personally during these two years. I hate it.

Airborne_Again wrote:

I would guess that in your social circle (as in mine) vaccination coverage approaches 100%?

Pretty much.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message