Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some numbers from Germany:
KBV Corona Report (click on the first PDF link for the most recent data)

It shows 2 things:

1. Vaccinations work very effectively
  2. Poeple who argue against that know nothing about this

(Fun fact: When I was in school we were tought about Bayes we had to practice with TBC vaccination data. I guess they switched to a more relevant disease by now.)

Unfortunately, in Germany knowing math is not a requirement to count as educated but being able to cite Goethe and Shakespeare is. Later in school you can opt out of physics, chemistry and most of math but not of religion and German language. So a lot of people are looking at the numbers and conclude that because there are now more vaccinated poeple in the hospital than before we even started the vaccination campaign vaccination doesn’t work. And they happily spread this knowledge via WhatsApp and Fakebook. They are not the 5G crackpot covidiots they are just semi-educated Poeple who Form a large part of the 35% unvaccinated.

EDQH, Germany

This thread won’t die out anytime soon, with dynamite like this from Austria and Singapore going a lot further.

We had our 3rd vacc – Pfizer this time. Both of us exactly the same, with a slightly sore arm, as is common for Pfizer.

but being able to cite Goethe and Shakespeare is

Same here… well the 2nd one, anyway

Administrator

I talked to my doc here about a 3rd shot, as officially it is only for over 65 at the moment, but with risk factors you can get it earlier.

However, they only have Moderna and I had Pfizer and therefore I am told they can’t give me the booster, as intermixing is not allowed.

Clipperstorch wrote:

So a lot of people are looking at the numbers and conclude that because there are now more vaccinated poeple in the hospital than before we even started the vaccination campaign vaccination doesn’t work. And they happily spread this knowledge via WhatsApp and Fakebook. They are not the 5G crackpot covidiots they are just semi-educated Poeple who Form a large part of the 35% unvaccinated.

looking at the massive campaign launched against the covid laws here it is more than a few who by now fully subscribe to all the crackpot theories around. We just had a vaccination week, where you could go and get vaccinated at many points and even got food and drink with it, the result is totally disappointing. We will have to live with the fact that about 35% of the population will not get vaccinated because they have made their mind up and that is that.

Heaven only knows what will happen if the government decide to implement either a 2 or 1 factor rule (only vaccinated or recovered) and lock the rest down. Personally I predict violent clashes, as they happened in the Netherlands.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

as intermixing is not allowed.

That’s dumb, since it is widely known, and been widely known for decades, that if you mix vaccines you generally get a better immunity. The UK has more data than many (with a ~90% vacc % of 12+, and widely dispersed poor / poor health communities) and it is always (?) using a different vaccine for the booster. So AZ recipients get Pfizer.

Administrator

Kind of interesting, the following table. Most people in Iberia (well, I can’t speak for Portugal tbh) look up to ‘civilized and advanced’ Europe up north and say things like “Africa starts south of the Pyrenees”, but it seems there is quite a bit of common sense here.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I reckon that table is based on duff (or selective) data. UK:

To reach 88%, Portugal would have to be doing babies not yet born, or counting pregnant women as 2

Administrator

I know you are not a big fan of the BBC

They claim ‘Our World In Data’ as the source. Why do you think your source for the UK is the better one?

In any case, if we once would be able to get reliable data, it’s going to be a nice starting point for sociological studies to try to find a correlation with parameters like:

1. The ability of a government to exert pressure (dictatorship vs democracy)
2. For democracies: the trust of the population in their governments
3. Trust of the population in science and technology
4. Trust of the population in the health system (dramatic scenes in Madrid and Milan are imprinted in many minds)
5. General sense of obedience of the population
6. Sense of vulnerability as a result of age distribution
7. Sense of vulnerability as a result of geographical distribution
8. Sense of solidarity
9. Presence of ‘bubbles’ (religion, whacko’s)

Am I missing some?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

In any case, if we once would be able to get reliable data, it’s going to be a nice starting point for sociological studies to try to find a correlation with parameters like:

A friend who’s in social science told me last year that this pandemic is going to give them work for at least 10 years…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My source is simply this which I am sure is accurate. It is possible but unlikely that the UK govt is publishing totally fiddled data (as would have to be the case to get the 67%).

I am sure you are right about the correlations, but it would be quite controversial to publish the data, not least because no country like to be labelled as (e.g.) having an obedient population You would never get research funding for it – it would not pass the “PC” test.

The thing I don’t like about the BBC is how they pitch their presentation to really stupid people. That doesn’t in itself make the content useless (which is why I link to their news reports quite often). The BBC doesn’t have to do that, and indeed didn’t do so in years past; e.g. for decades BBC2 used to carry material openly pitched to intelligent viewers, which today is absolutely impossible (accusations of elitism, for a channel funded with a mandatory tax, the majority of which is inevitably paid by thickos). But the “content must be for the thickos” producers have taken over most programming now. And the website (which is really the subject here) is “all for thickos”.

I am sure every country has the same problem. The only difference I can see is that in different countries you get different online media business models and different content remains freely accessible, especially from abroad. I can’t give examples easily but I have been really unsuccessful in finding anything readable in other countries in N Europe, that isn’t on a subscription. In the UK, most free content is pitched at the totally thick (Daily Mail, BBC, etc) with only the left-wing/PC/everything-in-the-UK-is-crap Guardian (which is otherwise not aimed at the totally thick) being freely accessible, which is why almost everybody on EuroGA who reads UK media is reading the Guardian If you are looking for something which can’t be reported for PC reasons (which nowadays is a LOT of stuff, and the vast majority of the CV19 topic) the Daily Mail digs out the best quality dirt, but you have to read it very selectively.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message