Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Climate change

Dan wrote:

ain’t mine, but here goes

xkcd, I presume? Randall Munroe was born on October 1984, so…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

no cooking (gravity oil fed aga type stove is ok – very wasteful much of the year)

We don’t find it especially wasteful, however it depends on your setup and to a large extent your house layout. We have just converted it to oil, along with our central heating, because LPG supply is a nightmare.

9 months of the year the Aga just chugs away keeping the house warm and cooking all our food. The layout is such that the heat disperses quite well. We turn it off in June, July and August. Everything it burns gets converted to heat that is used somewhere – it doesn’t just go out the window. If we didn’t have it then the CH would have to work much harder, and really the CH only runs between Nov and Feb because the Aga combined with the wood burning stove keeps the house warm enough.

If we were setting things up from scratch then I probably wouldn’t get one, but it was here when we bought the house, removing it would be a big (and not straightforward) job and we’ve grown to like it. The fact that it gives us cooking, heating and hot water without needing an electrical supply is a nice piece of redundancy. As you say, they are deeply fashionable in the countryside :-)

Some friends of ours in the village have an electric Aga, which they now hardly ever switch on. The cost of running it is eye-watering.

Last Edited by Graham at 11 Aug 11:03
EGLM & EGTN

Ha, Peter locked the ‘car’ thread. But he left the back door open. Finding it was easier than getting an IFR-route approved..

Looks like Britain may finally not be the country that helps to save the planet EVs actually ruin lives!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1800735/electric-cars-ghost-town-Knaresborough

Last Edited by aart at 14 Aug 12:59
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Along the same lines as above …

United Kingdom

That guy from the video spent 120k currency units on something that maybe cost 30k to make and now he is surprised that he lost more than half of it within a year? Porsche is known to pay their employees very well, that money must come from somewhere.

Another topic, another scam: I recently learned that in Germany owners of an EV can sell CO2 certificates for something like two or three hundred quid a year. Don’t ask, there is no logic behind that. I, as an owner of two petrol driven vehicles, could buy an additional all electric car and then I would be able to sell my share of certificates. Now, would I instead scrap my two cars and just use my bicycles more, I wouldn’t get anything!

EDQH, Germany

Clipperstorch wrote:

Now, would I instead scrap my two cars and just use my bicycles more, I wouldn’t get anything!

But there’s a solution? Electric bicycle?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Just come across this report

Fraser Nash – Decarbonising GA

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In another thread we talked about that GA is only a minuscule % of CO2 emissions and some commented that one can’t continue to just point at those that are bigger emitters and do nothing. I agree. We can and should do things on an individual level. It’s hard to be carbon neutral but one can at least limit one’s omissions, or compensate in some way.

This looks nice. Even the heat from the electrolysis process is used.

Last Edited by aart at 09 Nov 11:36
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Interesting. One can make hydrogen by eletrolysis with about 80% efficiency, but that generates the gas at ambient pressure. Here they show it stored in cylinders, which will be awfully costly to do.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From memory compressing the gas costs about 15-30% of the stored energy (which you don’t retrieve when consuming).
Another big factor is fuel cell efficiency (around 50%), which puts the total efficiency at around 1/4. Compare that to batteries that achieve 90+% (electricity out / electricity in ratio). It’s also really hard to hold on to hydrogen. H2 molecules are so small they tend to leak in the tyniest holes, even evaporate through solid metal. I don’t think storing H2 for six months is a good idea.

I would rather put my money on synthetic (liquid) fuel made from oceanic CO2 (CO2 is somewhat more dense in oceans than in the atmosphere, thus easier to capture and transform).

I became more H2-skeptical after watching

and

Last Edited by maxbc at 09 Nov 16:34
France
Sign in to add your message