Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hail damage Germany

Are the pilots/owners on EuroGa. If so vey well done in escaping that incident.Cessna P210N Pressurized Centurion II
Owner/operator: Private
MSN: P21000294
Fatalities: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities: 0
Aircraft damage: Substantial
Phase: En route
Nature: Private
Departure airport: Nürnberg Airport (NUE/EDDN)
Destination airport: Zürich-Kloten Airport (ZRH/LSZH)
Narrative:
A Cessna P210N Pressurized Centurion II suffered an engine failure enroute due to flight into CB and hailstorm. Due to the engine failure the aircraft made an emergency landing near Ludwigsburg.
Both occupants remained uninjured.

Looks like they got jumped by a real CB with massive hail.
Engine quit, but they managed to belly land safely on an asphalt road in an agriculture area.
Approach was made under rows of high power lines.
Pretty good job to bring it down safely.
Must have been extremely scary to be inside that hail storm. I can only imagine.

Looks like it was a pretty rough ride there around 14.000’ until the engine quit: I lifted this from Beechtalk. Must have been interesting…

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 16 Aug 10:52
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Wow. They must have thought their lives were at the end.
Let’s hope it will be a lesson for others.
Fly safe.

LFOU, France

On a positive note the windshield held..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Just thinking. Even in the local news warnings were all about that a “supercell” will be around in southern Germany on that day and that huge grains to up to 5cm in diameters are expected. But I only wonder. I still stay out of clouds, so my question is: wasn’t this foreseeable?

Germany

Difficult to say without looking at the forecast and briefing materials, but if the forecast was for isolated or scattered thunderstorms no reason not to fly if you can keep well clear (by remaining VMC or using radar).

The problem with hail is that it isn’t where the cell is – it can get spewed out the top and gets displaced by the wind, so clear air under the “anvil” is also a no-go area, but the radar will show no precipitation (it can’t see ice)

Biggin Hill

but the radar will show no precipitation (it can’t see ice)

Really? I thouht that radar can‘t see snow. But iceballs? AFAIK, it shows on radar as very strong rain…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hail can be detected using radar. On Doppler radar, hail generally sends a return signal that looks like extremely heavy rainfall.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Probably depends on the radar – ISTR a warning that “wet” hail (where the surface has started to melt on the way down through warmer air) is very visible, while “dry” hail above the freezing level gives only a weak echo. But that was for the typical King GA radar.

Biggin Hill

The weather radar only gets returns from liquid water. Ice particles have a lot lower reflectivity and don’t show that well on the weather radar.
The very top of Cb’s doesn’t give much returns as most of it is ice.

EBZW, Belgium

A report from a ULM instructor in the South East France last week tells the story of how he and his student were flying along and avoiding a tiny black cloud, he looked at his map lifted his head and this tiny black cloud had grown massively into a.giant CB and they were just about to enter it. He says he couldn’t believe it, his head was down for less than 30 seconds, if that, to make sure they were keeping clear of CAS.
They quickly did a 180 but it really got quite rough and he was really glad he looked up when he did. One has to wonder how fast can a violent CB form in the conditions in South East France a few days ago.

France
51 Posts
Sign in to add your message