Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Climate change

Wildfires are often the result of stupidity or vandalism these days. So yes they are down to people. But it does help to have a lot of very dry brush around and some wind.
And many of these fires are happening in countries where the birth rate is decreasing. Some would say by alarming levels.
And that’s on top of wars and other insurrections plus pandemics which are certainly having an impact on world population, outside of a few countries like India. Are you advocating war or culling in these countries?
If respiratory diseases such as asthma are all down to diet and staying indoors, why do you think the majority of the increase is in children who live or regularly walk along highly trafficated streets?
I can cetainly agree that microplastics are already attacking our brains. One only has to look at the current crop of world leaders and would be opinion formers.🙂
I haven’t see as many " end of the world is nigh" banners in the towns and cities,I visit, compared to the same towns and cities when I was younger. Then these people were thought of as oddballs, perhaps now the majority think “we’re doomed, doomed” to quote private Fraser.😀

France

gallois wrote:

If respiratory diseases such as asthma are all down to diet and staying indoors, why do you think the majority of the increase is in children who live or regularly walk along highly trafficated streets?

I think that’s highly variable from place to place. Obviously living all your younger years along highly trafficked streets isn’t good for your respiratory system, but that’s no good reason for not eating properly or staying outdoor (where there are no traffic).

gallois wrote:

Are you advocating war or culling in these countries?

That wasn’t even in my thoughts, but are you? (seriously, what kind of question is that?)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

gallois wrote:

And that’s on top of wars and other insurrections plus pandemics which are certainly having an impact on world population, outside of a few countries like India. Are you advocating war or culling in these countries?

The thing that really scares me is what’s going to happen when large densely populated areas become uninhabitable or at least unable to support its population. (Notably Bangadesh.) We’re going to see migration on a scale unheard of with all the unrest and violence that will come of it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A_A you are right about the migration issue. Fortunately at the moment India is onna significant upward scale in its economic development. Ranked 5th in the world now and replacing the UK. It might have the knock on effect of less migration from countries like India. I don’t know whether migration from China has gone up or down since it became an economic power house.
Bangladesh certainly has a migration problem with refugees from Myanmar.
And where do the refugees go from Bangladesh. A poor country in itself which struggles to feed it’s own people.
Le Sving you are missing the point about the massive increase in respiratory disease. No one, as far as I know, is advocating that children shouldn’t eat good food. And no one AFAIK would advocate that children shouldn’t get out of their homes and into the fresh air. But getting out in the fresh air has become difficult with the growth and joining up of cities into one large conurbation.
My question regarding population control through culling or war was a little tongue in cheek. But in tribal regions of the world it was and in some areas still is a reality.
Many people say the only way to solve the climate crisis is through depopulation. That may or may not be. But how to depopulate and who gets to choose what individuals or groups are surplus to requirements or not allowed to have more than one child or indeed no children. Remember China tried this and in so many ways it has backfired.
The consequences there are now a great lack of women for the sons who were kept to work in the fields and look after their families in the future. So now Chinese families are importing young women from other parts of Asia to marry their sons.
There are always consequences .

France

gallois wrote:

Many people say the only way to solve the climate crisis is through depopulation. That may or may not be

Of course it’s true. The cause of whatever crisis it actually is we are having is over population. To even call it a climate crisis is bit of a stretch. Mice can suddenly explode in numbers. Still, we don’t usually actually see that many of them. We do however see the poop everywhere. No one would call that a poop crisis.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

To get this back to the last on-topic area, that long term SL rise needs to be explained. One can’t just ignore it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“The industry more damaging to the environment than airlines” – data centres!

Telegraph’s article from 2023

Last Edited by Fernando at 04 Mar 08:37
EGSU, United Kingdom

Yes that is very true.

The Telegraph is behind a paywall. The UK has just 2 papers not behind a paywall: the Daily Trash and the Organ of the Communist Party of GB

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The UK has just 2 papers not behind a paywall: the Daily Trash and the Organ of the Communist Party of GB

hahaha

I’m sorry. For some reason, the Telegraph let me read that article. Guardian is “pay if you can” but allows you to read all articles

EGSU, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Organ of the Communist Party of GB

Central committee

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message