Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

The certificate meets the knowledge requirements and a copy is sent to the CAA after the reval flight. You still have to do a reval flight with an RNAV approach and the examiner can still decide to ask you technical questions during the reval if they wish. We had a discussion about missed approach decision if the type of approach is downgraded during the approach and the need to get RAIM checks even if SBAS equipped. Nothing difficult and very practical. You can meet the knowledge requirements by experience and I imagine the examiner would ask more questions to check your knowledge but as I said I didn’t do this.

EGBW, United Kingdom

JohnR wrote:

the need to get RAIM checks even if SBAS equipped

What was said about that? That it’s worth doing in case SBAS fails?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Aviathor wrote:

To enlighten us, please cite what regulation requires that. Thanks

COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) 2016/539

EGKB Biggin Hill

1. Pilots may only fly in accordance with performance-based navigation (“PBN”) procedures after they have been granted PBN privileges as an endorsement to their instrument rating (“IR”).

2. A pilot shall be granted PBN privileges where he or she fulfils all of the following requirements:

(a) the pilot has successfully completed a course of theoretical knowledge including PBN, in accordance with FCL.615 of Annex I (Part-FCL);

(b) the pilot has successfully completed flying training including PBN, in accordance with FCL.615 of Annex I (Part-FCL);

(c) the pilot has successfully completed either a skill test in accordance with Appendix 7 to Annex I (Part-FCL) or a skill test or a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 of Annex I (Part-FCL).

3. The requirements of paragraph 2(a) and (b) shall be deemed to have been fulfilled where the competent authority considers that the competence acquired, either through training or from familiarity with PBN operations, is equivalent to the competence acquired through the courses referred to in paragraph 2(a) and (b) and the pilot demonstrates such competence to the satisfaction of the examiner at the proficiency check or skill test referred to in paragraph 2(c).

4. A record of the successful demonstration of competency in PBN shall, upon completion of the skill test or the proficiency check referred to in paragraph 2(c), be entered in the pilot’s logbook or equivalent record and signed by the examiner who conducted the test or check.

5. IR pilots without PBN privileges may only fly on routes and approaches that do not require PBN privileges and no PBN items shall be required for the renewal of their IR, until 25 August 2020; after that date, PBN privileges shall be required for every IR.’;

(2) in Article 10a, the following paragraph 5 is added:

‘5. Pilot training organisations shall ensure that the IR training course they offer include training for PBN privileges compliant with the requirements of Annex I (Part-FCL) by 25 August 2020 at the latest.’;

(3) paragraph 4 of Article 12 is replaced by the following:

‘4. By way of derogation from paragraph 1, Member States may decide not to apply the provisions of this Regulation until 8 April 2017 to pilots holding a licence and associated medical certificate issued by a third country involved in the non-commercial operation of aircraft as specified in Article 4(1)(b) or (c) of Regulation (EC) No 216/2008. Member States shall make those decisions publicly available.’;

(4) Annexes I and VII are amended in accordance with the Annex to this Regulation.

Article 2

This Regulation shall enter into force on the day of its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union.

It shall apply from 8 April 2016.

However, points 1, 2 and 4 of Article 1 shall apply from 25 August 2018, with the exception of point 1(g) of the Annex, which shall apply from 8 April 2016.

EGKB Biggin Hill

PeteD wrote:

you have to fly an approved gps approach

It can be in the sim.

Also, PPL/IR may be making progress with HIAL to get their approaches made available to all.

EGKB Biggin Hill

For context the examiner I have used for a few years is an ex CAA chief examiner. The discussion was really about the difference between the technical requirement not to have to do a RAIM check, this does not exclude doing a NOTAM check, if using SBAS capable kit versus the practical issue,of being aware before departure that there may be an outage at the time of your approach. It was really about a scenario such as you had planned for an LPV approach and not checked RAIM availability. The only other approach is an NDB and you haven’t briefed for it or done an NDB approach for a while. Causes unnecessary stress so why not check for RAIM which would allow you to be prepared. I had short circuited the discussion by checking and printing the RAIM prediction for Glos at the time of our approach.

EGBW, United Kingdom

JohnR wrote:

I had short circuited the discussion by checking and printing the RAIM prediction for Glos at the time of our approach.

Do you check RAIM for your real life flying?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Of course I do

Last Edited by JohnR at 29 Jul 16:19
EGBW, United Kingdom

Well, quite. I mean irony doesn’t translate that well to the keyboard, but I assume that, like me and most others, you don’t, right? We go, and if there is a problem we deal with it, right?

So why do we play these games (another two are PEC and DDA) at reval time?

It’s a serious question, not just rhetorical.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Yep I got PEC and DDA as well! You have been doing this long enough to know the answer to your own question.

EGBW, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message