Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

Airborne_Again wrote:

Doesn’t the CAA accept prior experience for the PBN TK?

The UK CAA does, yes, but the examiner is still expected to ask questions.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The UK CAA does

Is there a reference for this acceptance?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Now retired from forums best wishes

Thanks, Balliol. ( local copy )

I saw that, but to me it doesn’t sound like a credit for any experience. There is no form where you fill in your hours, IFR time, number of GPS approaches, etc. This is just a declaration that you have “experience” and have read the syllabus in Appendix 2 of that form and obviously the IR examiner will then quiz you on that syllabus. So my grandma could follow the same process. However doing that online exam and printing off the certificate apparently exempts you from getting the oral exam.

IOW, the two options are these:

Administrator

Im not sure it works like that – it’s do a flying and TK course at an ATO then take test, or take test without a flying course by declaring familiarity. If you do test without a flying course you will get the oral regardless I think

Last Edited by Balliol at 05 Aug 07:43
Now retired from forums best wishes

In my experience of doing this recently it wasn’t quite like that. You don’t need a flying course if you have familiarity with RNAV procedures and approaches. The examiner tests this on the flight. The TK certificate is useful and precludes an oral test but does not prevent the examiner asking questions about TK if they wish which seems quite reasonable. My examiner told me to tick the first box for TK and I provided the certificate to send to the CAA and the box for RNAV experience and the final box for test. It is very easy if you have been used to flying RNAV approaches.

EGBW, United Kingdom

Am I right that the only people who need this PBN signoff are

• those renewing or revalidating an EASA IR, or
  • those with a valid EASA IR who would not be revalidating it until after 25th August and who therefore need to get the PBN signoff added earlier
Administrator

Peter wrote:

I saw that, but to me it doesn’t sound like a credit for any experience. There is no form where you fill in your hours, IFR time, number of GPS approaches, etc. This is just a declaration that you have “experience” and have read the syllabus in Appendix 2 of that form and obviously the IR examiner will then quiz you on that syllabus. So my grandma could follow the same process.
Yes! Isn’t that great. No gold plating for once. I got my PBN signoff that way.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Am I right that the only people who need this PBN signoff are

• those renewing or revalidating an EASA IR, or
  • those with a valid EASA IR who would not be revalidating it until after 25th August and who therefore need to get the PBN signoff added earlier

Not quite an answer to your question, but according to the Swedish CAA you can’t just get a PBN signoff added earlier. You have to do it in conjunction with a PC. One of our instructors tried to just send in the declaration form because he had already done his IFR PC and the next one wouldn’t be until after 25 August. He got his paperwork returned with the comment that a PC was mandatory.
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

PBN grandfather rights

Talking to some ex colleagues last night.
They had just come back from SIM without PBN being signed off.Apparently their aircraft is not approved for GPS/PBN approaches so it couldn’t be done.

Under the daft regulation concerning PBN sign off they would be prohibited from class A airspace, bit of a showstopper for an airline! So apparently they can continue to operate in class A under grandfather rights.
Can we all do that please?:-)

EGNS, Other
Sign in to add your message