Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

ORS 4/1275 covers this. Only pro pilots flying on behalf of an operator, flying aircraft which are not capable of RNP approaches, but can do RNAV 5.

[ local copy ]

EGKB Biggin Hill

Ah…..seems very unreasonable! What difference does that make to their/my competence? Different rules eh!

Last Edited by PeteD at 26 Aug 12:12
EGNS, Other

I am with you on the nuttiness of the whole PBN thing (even if I co-wrote the book and do the seminars!) but I do wonder how many privately operated aircraft are capable of RNAV 5 but not RNP approaches?

I guess that there are a few with old TSO-C129() navigators which are BRNAV, but no-one has ever bothered to certify for LNAV, but there are not the hundreds that depend on INS and DME/DME as there are in the CAT fleet.

I do think that the UK CAA has made this particularly easy for Part-NCO pilots – sign a form, answer a couple of questions and fly an approach. It’s reasonably proportionate.

EGKB Biggin Hill

My gripe is that when I revalidated my IR, there was not a suitable approach nearby, due to the hopelessly slow introduction of said approaches, by the very same people who introduced the requirement!!!

EGNS, Other

Yes. Their answer is to do the RNP approach on the sim.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Unfortunately, a sim is not accessable to me without a lot of effort….. I fail to see what relevence flying a gps/pbn approach has to do with navigating airways?…something that I’ve been doing for tge last 30 years, without mishap!

Last Edited by PeteD at 26 Aug 12:57
EGNS, Other

It’s the PBN Concept, you see….

EGKB Biggin Hill

Ha!

EGNS, Other

Unfortunately, a sim is not accessable to me without a lot of effort….. I fail to see what relevence flying a gps/pbn approach has to do with navigating airways?…something that I’ve been doing for tge last 30 years, without mishap!

Indeed; this is mad. The USA and curiously Germany have given PBN to everybody with an IR, which is the right way to do it.

I reckon the Royal Institute of Navigation have infiltrated all the regulatory bodies and are right now preparing a special MCS Syllabus (map compass and stopwatch).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

Yes. Their answer is to do the RNP approach on the sim.

Well, thought I’d give that a try, spoke to CFT at Tatenhill as I’m there for radio fit next week. Apparently can’t be done in there approved FNPT flight simulator, apparently full motion required.

So not really a viable solution from the CAA….why am I not surprised!!
Still, I’m perplexed as to why a full motion sim is required for what amounts to some button pressing, unless the requirement is to hand fly?(the skills having been demonstrated on the ILS)

Nope…they certainly haven’t made it easy!!!

Last Edited by PeteD at 31 Aug 16:51
EGNS, Other
Sign in to add your message