Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

I teach instrument flying on a kitchen chair, kitchen table and two screens mounted one above the other. It is extremely effective, especially for RNP differences training.

It is a complete nonsense to say that motion is required. I would say that force feedback is required, though.

But then I despair at the UK examiner community in general when it comes to PBN. Only two days ago did a CRE, who is in a position to sign off PBN, tell me point blank that an LNAV approach cannot be flown on a GNS430, and insisted that he was right and I was wrong even after I reminded him that I wrote the ****ing book that he supposedly studied from!

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

The USA and curiously Germany have given PBN to everybody with an IR, which is the right way to do it.

Does this mean that flying N-reg on an FAA IR doesn’t need any logbook entry re PBN? Ask most FAA CFII about making a PBN entry along with an IPC and you’ll get a sideways quizzical look as if you’re talking Greek.

LSZK, Switzerland

Well, the US system does not know these PBN endorsements, so you don‘t need it on that license. But then again, for European citizens, it is not really possible anymore to fly N-regs fully legally in Europe, so you need an EASA license for that anyway, and therefore you need the PBN thing.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

for European citizens, it is not really possible anymore to fly N-regs fully legally in Europe, so you need an EASA license for that anyway

At the moment, that is dependent on based country. The opt-out option is still in place and used by some countries. Of course this could change any April, but it has been extended every year for the past x years (seems like 10). But that’s another thread.

Last Edited by chflyer at 01 Sep 07:37
LSZK, Switzerland

Yes, but the assumption that the exemption is based on where the pilot is based (and not which country the pilot is flying over) is somewhat nonsensical. I guess only a courtcase (or an insurance case) will eventually clarify that, but I have not heard about any.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Sep 07:54
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

chflyer wrote:

Of course this could change any April,

That is after Brexit. The regulation applies to ‘EU countries’ – which we will no longer be. So everything, I would maintain, is open to speculation.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Yes indeed the whole EASA attack on N-regs will fall away post-brexit, due to the “based in… the Community” wording in EASA FCL.

Also the EASA-FAA treaty will exclude the UK (as currently worded)

Unless the UK CAA does something equivalent, which it might, or might not… The CAA is OK with N-regs but the N-reg policy is owned by the DfT which outranks the CAA.

Everything will be up in the air.

The best scenario is that the UK would become like the Channel Islands or the IOM presently are i.e. you can fly your N-reg on FAA papers everywhere, without any need for EASA papers. Pilots based in these places don’t need the PBN stuff either. I doubt that will happen (because the UK is prob99 going to remain in EASA, for hundreds of reasons) but you never know… One thing is for sure: the EASA FCL wording will need to be taken care of somehow if they want UK based pilots to require EASA papers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter said"Pilots based in these places don’t need the PBN stuff either." Really? I operate an M reg, why do you say that?

EGNS, Other

Where is your “operator” based physically? The reg is not the issue. N is based in the USA, after all

Unfortunately this is a very long thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m based IOM, my IOM cert of validation flight crew licence to operate it is based on my easa licence.

Last Edited by PeteD at 01 Sep 08:59
EGNS, Other
Sign in to add your message