Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

pmh wrote:

It seems every country has adopted their own way of doing this.

Because the regulation is not directive as to how the candidate has to demonstrate knowledge. Article 4a paragraph 3 says

3. The requirements of paragraph 2(a) and (b) shall be deemed to have been fulfilled where the competent authority considers that the competence acquired, either through training or from familiarity with PBN operations, is equivalent to the competence acquired through the courses referred to in paragraph 2(a) and (b) and the pilot demonstrates such competence to the satisfaction of the examiner at the proficiency check or skill test referred to in paragraph 2(c).

And the preamble to 2016/539 states

(3) Pilots, holders of an IR, who have obtained on the basis of the applicable requirements of national law or otherwise theoretical knowledge and practical skills in PBN operations, prior to the date of application of this Regulation, should be deemed to have fulfilled the additional requirements, where they can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the competent authority that the knowledge and skills thus obtained are equivalent to those obtained through the courses and trainings required under this Regulation. The competent authorities should base their decisions on the equivalence of such knowledge and skills on objective information and criteria.

In my case I chose to take a course because to this day the Norwegian authority has not yet implemented EU 2016/539, so I do not know what the alternative would be, especially since I do my proficiency checks with foreign examiners. So now the only thing I need to do is a proficiency check during which I will do an RNP approach.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 02 Dec 15:06
LFPT, LFPN

Timothy wrote:

From August you need to do an RNP approach on revalidation anyway

The issue is where to find an RNP approach in a reasonable location. The UK’s pathetically slow adoption of GNSS approaches means they are few and far between.

I got a PBN sign off last week. I did an online TK course and flew an LPV approach on the LPC. The location was not an issue as the test was on a simulator.

Last Edited by Neil at 04 Dec 19:23
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

The suggestion from the CAA was to use a sim.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Neil,
Where did you do the online TK at?

You can do the PBN thing out of e.g. Shoreham EGKA. It has a GPS approach and I know an examiner who is PBN authorised.

I looked for a map of GPS approaches in the UK and while I recall seeing one at some point I can’t find it now. There are relatively few new ones; they need full ATC and a suitable runway so e.g. Redhill can’t get one because Biggin Hill Airport objects to any runway improvement

You don’t need LPV.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rob wrote:

Neil,
Where did you do the online TK at?

I did it at Flight Safety. It cost $455 but I was fortunate enough to add it onto a work related course as I was learning a new aeroplane.

We generally revalidate on the aircraft in the UK so I guess from 2018 we’ll have to book approaches long enough in advance at Blackpool or Cambridge. Good business for them I guess, I cannot understand why it’s taking so long for GNSS approaches to proliferate. France is taking out ILS approaches al over the place and replacing them with LPV.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Peter wrote:

I looked for a map of GPS approaches in the UK and while I recall seeing one at some point I can’t find it now

This one ?

Possibly, yes, although that one contains a fair bit of fiction e.g.

and this one is even better

since Coventry is a “farm strip” now, with AIUI no chance of getting ATC back.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

since Coventry is a “farm strip” now, with AIUI no chance of getting ATC back.

Peter, I cant agree with that, its nothing like that at all, who told you that?

I was there yesterday, Air to Ground admittedly, and a really first class man there in the Tower.

Is an NDB overlay not a GPS approach in all but name? …Guess that would be too easy ;-)

EGNS, Other
Sign in to add your message