Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporary Schengen "suspension" around Europe

Bourges is different then some other places. The chamber of commerce there is frightend about doing something wrong with the terrorists so they do everything wrong with the standard regulation of general aviation. But being gentle to the guy on the phone they will accept you anyway. :-)

EDDS , Germany

My experience is that it’s different on each airfield. So you’re probably best off if you follow the procedures outlined in the VFR atlas, NOTAMs, and possibly airport administration for each specific airfield. And keep a fax transmission log

LSZK, Switzerland

The general rule is that you do not need any customs/immigration for intra-Schengen flights.

Case of flights inside the Schengen space with States other than Switzerland
These flights are not subjected to any specific customs and police control. Therefore, they may be performed, on the French side, on departure from or arrival at all aerodromes, helipads and airfields approved to receive ultra-light motorized aircraft, provided that the use intended for these aerodromes, helipads and airfields is complied with.

There are, for reasons I ignore, some airfields where PPR/PNR to customs/immigration is required for any international flight. Those exceptions are published by NOTAM and include Colmar (LFGA), Auxerre (LFLA) and Limoges (LFBL) (that I know of)

LFFA-E1472/16
Q)LFFF/QFAXX/IV/NBO/ A/000/999/4751N00330E005
A) LFLA AUXERRE BRANCHES
B) 201604221245 C) 201607222359
E) SUITE ETAT D URGENCE,POUR TOUT VOL FRANCHISSANT UNE FRONTIERE,
PPR DOUANES OBLIGATOIRE SELON HORAIRES CARTE VAC AD2 LFLA TXT 02

LFFA-B1002/16
Q)LFEE/QFZXX/IV/NBO/ A/000/999/4807N00722E005
A) LFGA COLMAR HOUSSEN
B) 201602241619 C) 201607021600
E) DOUANE :
INFO CLI METZ POUR TOUT VOL TRANSFRONTALIER
O/R PN 24H TEL : +33 (0)9 70 27 74 02 FAX : +33 (0)3 87 36 00 84
OU CLI-METZ

LFFA-B1693/16
Q)LFBB/QFALT/IV/NBO/ A/000/999/4552N00111E005
A) LFBL LIMOGES BELLEGARDE
B) 201603211421 C) 201605262359
E) AERODROME LIMITE:
POUR VOLS INTERNATIONAUX NON PROGRAMMES, PPR 24H OBLIGATOIRE
AUPRES DU GESTIONNAIRE

I cannot find anything about Bourges that indicates that PPR/PNR is required, either in AIP, or in NOTAMs. The CCI (Chambre of Commerce) do not decide whether a customs notification is required.

Le Touquet, which is a popular week-end destination for UK pilots (extra-Schengen) requires PN 2 hours prior to ETA. We have had a couple of fly-ins to Le Touquet since January. On both occasions we were met by Customs officers. In Carcassonne I spoke to a Customs officer who told me that they are obligated to check all individuals arriving from outside Schengen but they are somewhat understaffed for the task. In such case it is helpful to them if the list of passengers is provided in advance.

The customs request must include the following information:
- ACFT registration,
- Captain’s name,
- PAX name

FredPilote wrote:

Furthermore the customs of Toulouse tell me that if I want to go to Spain, I have to declare the flight to them but they won’t bother it all people on the flight are pilots (have a pilot license).

Based on the above, in the absence of NOTAM to that effect, I would say there is no such requirement. They may be getting the flight plan.

There is a NOTAM talking about airlines obligation to check their passengers passport before taking off otherwise they will be fined up to 5000 euros per passenger and have to pay for their return flight, but I’m not an airline and I don’t carry passengers.

That does not apply to you.

AOPA tells me that there is no specific notes about flights from France within the Schengen area and I should not bother to declare the flight.

In my opinion, they are right.

What is your experience with French Customs in non-customs airfields or on airfields where you have to declare your flight before proceeding, like in Orleans where I am ?

There is no NOTAM for LFOZ saying that PN/PP is required for intra-Schengen flights. What the AIP says is
PPR PN 24 HR during AFIS SKED TEL : AD operator.
Mandatory boarding through terminal.
Mandatory extension outside AFIS SKED.

That cannot possibly be interpreted as concerning intra-Schengen flights, because if it did, it would also concern all domestic flights.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 09 May 07:01
LFPT, LFPN

Hi everyone,

I have just flown between Cannes LFMD, Geneva LSGG, Orleans LFOZ and Rotterdam EHRD last week. There is currently a special procedure for all flights coming into and leaving France INCLUDING INTRA-SCHENGEN. In Cannes we were not able to exit from the usual “Schengen” point and had to exit through main terminal, clear customs and provide copies of ID for crew and pax as well as fill in a passenger manifest.

In Orleans I had to go to the tower and provide copies of passport for myself and my wife, upon departure we had to clear customs (three guys on motorcycles) and they cross checked our ID with the flight plan. They were nice and not impressed with having to do this while the highway borders remain uncontrolled but that is another topic altogether.

All in all really not a hassle and I am not sure how long this will remain in place but as recently as Saturday it most definitely was.

There my two cents

Happy flying
P.

LFLP

It really seems to be something that is being done differently depending on the place. Last week I flew from Germany IFR to Avignon and left the airport there without seeing a single soul. When I left the next morning two Duanes were there and they wanted to see my ID. They also had my flight plan in a list on a clipboard. All very friendly but as can be seen it is not consistent.

I did learn elsewhere that even if you travel intra-Schengen you are doing cross-border travel and should carry ID (national ID card or passport) for everyone and you may get checked anywhere and anytime. That is unrelated to the recent events and as Schengen is supposed to work in the first place. I got that from the German Federal Police.

What is annoying is the fact that at some airports things seem to have gone a bit too far and it’s inconvenient to use them for a quick stopover or to spent the night. Good that there are others with less or no hassle at all.

Frequent travels around Europe

Let’s wait until the end of the month, when the state of emergency is supposed to expire.

The risk, as always is that certain restrictions might “stick”…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I’m a bit surprised that a EU country has the concept of “state of emergency” which grants the government extraordinary powers. Do other countries than France have that? Sweden doesn’t.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I’m a bit surprised that a EU country has the concept of “state of emergency” which grants the government extraordinary powers. Do other countries than France have that? Sweden doesn’t.

I bet you would find that it does. It isn’t granting extraordinary powers it is merely temporarily suspending Schengen in particular ways. Germany and Denmark have done it as well.

EGTK Oxford

One more note on that trip to LFOZ I just received the parking and landing fees invoice and see that I have been charged EUR42 for “assistance”. When I asked what this was for I was told that it was due to having to call the customs officers to be present to check papers prior to departure.

So not only it is a state of emergency but also increased fees on pilots which didn’t exist before, more than double the landing and overnight parking fees combined. To be fair everyone was nice and it’s obviously not the fault of the airport or the customs but still annoying.

LFLP

State of emergency comes to an end on May 26th…

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message