Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporary Schengen "suspension" around Europe

Thessaloniki Kavala Alexandropolis Samos Lesbos Skiathos Kos Corfu Kefalonia Zakynthos Ioannia Athens LGAV Santorini Crete (3) Rhodos Skiros … and more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have that list myself ;-)

But how many of those are practical when you come from the north? I bet you don’t land at Athens for showing your passport … when nobody is interested in it anyway. At Corfu they let you leave and enter the apron without anything …

How does it help if an airport on Crete is an Airport of Entry?

For a while it looked like Megara might become an Airfield of Entry, but it has not happened.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 04 Dec 18:23

And now the Dutch are requiring GenDec forms on leaving a Dutch airfield inbound the UK (non-Schengen). Just been working with onlinegar.com on implementing these GenDec forms to be send out automatically in a trial. The Dutch want a GenDec form with passport details when coming in or outbound and in advance. Where else is this a requirement when coming in from the UK into mainland Europe?

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 04 Dec 18:26
EDLE, Netherlands

Interesting it is all Dutch airfields. It happened the last two trips to Maastricht (this Summer and Autumn), where they wanted to see my GenDec. It surprised me (never needed it before). I gave them a copy of the UK GAR, and they were happy with that as it had all the information.

I just thought it was the usual confusion of people increasingly unfamiliar with non-Schengen flight, and not much to do.

Biggin Hill

The Greek ones are fine but avgas is only at a few of them so the rest are practical only for an avtur burner.

From the north, avgas is at Corfu and Samos, as the most northern.

Administrator

Samos is too far for any non-stop flight, even from Southern Germany, except you want to fly over open waters with little fuel (I don’t).
And of course all of the 3 Crete ones are too far aswell, and Chania doesn’t really count, because it’s really complicated to get a permission there, and I am sure they have no AVGAS either.

There’s a reason why everybody flies to Corfu ;-)

Sorry … not all Dutch airfields have customs. Some do like EHLE, EHMZ, EHRD, etc. but not all of them.

EDLE, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

From the north, avgas is at Corfu and Samos, as the most northern.

And also Thessaloníki (depending on their notams)

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

LGTS:

That’s really interesting. LGTS had 100LL back in 2004/2005. Then it lost it. I have never heard of it returning officially.

I could not speak of unofficial options even if I knew of some, but when these appeared in the distant past I could not take advantage of them because if say you are flying from Crete, and relying on 100LL at LGTS to continue a flight to say LDLO, and find the arrangement at LGTS doesn’t come off, you have to fly back down to LGSM, which is just too much hassle. So you may as well fill up at LGSM and base the return flight on that fuel. With a TB20 (1300nm range) it works OK but obviously one cannot just fly zigzag all over Greece…

Anyway, this is off topic. Regarding Greece and Schengen, what I hear from down there is that one should not take the off-Shengen for Greece stuff too seriously. Mostly its scaremongering to motivate their politicians and to do more stuff but on the other hand it may indeed happen under the current circumstances.

Administrator

So UK seems to be an exception. Is anyone aware of any other country that accepts a non-port-of-entry airport being used as port-of-entry with just a notification a’la GAR?

Up to maybe 7-8 years ago, Ireland had no system. Pretty much come and go as you please.

Then they introduced a GAR system, modelled on the UK GAR.

Now we have a semi official GAR system, which requires 24 hours notice, but seems to be happy to accept less than the 24 hours required.

A little hassle, but at least flexible.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message