Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporary Schengen "suspension" around Europe

I don’t understand the above post.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To simplify it, it’s OK to fly Sion-Pontoise using Art9 if you have nothing to declare on goods & aircraft (Pontoise is not a PoE)

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Dec 12:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

That would ring all the warning bells at customs…
It might be, but they have zero possibilities to check you upon arrival. It is completely legal to fly to an alternate at any point of time, without informing customs on an intra-EU flight from the Netherlands to Germany, as such flights don’t need any customs clearance. It’s just that German customs wants to check such flights on a random basis (Netherlands = possible import of drugs), but they have nothing in their hand in case a pilot makes the decision to fly to an alternate.
Last Edited by Frans at 01 Dec 13:14
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

Nonetheless, the idea that you can legally enter France without any hassle at a non-PPF airfield (which is thankfully still possible), but cannot enter France via a bigger PPF-airfield without PNR/PPR to customs, is completely ridiculous. Not to speak about the outrageous fines, which can destroy a complete vacation budget. Again, customs officers are one of the worst kind of ‘officials’ we need to deal with.

I’ve been thinking about this. I had one of those conversations yesterday that restore your faith in humanity a little bit. As you know I am chasing customs (douannes) here for clarifications on the border crossings. I have been communicating with one of their senior officials for a couple of months now on various subjects and have made some suggestions (to improve certain PPR forms) that have been implemented. Yesterday we spent over 45 mins on the phone, debating, clarifying and he called me back (the same day) twice to clarify things he had taken up with his hierarchy and promised further follow-up. The discussion was cordial, open and educational.

I learned a couple of things from the discussion, and my contact insisted on the fact his entire crew were very well aware they needed to be an economic partner for the Airport and the region. In fact ‘’ les Douannes’ are attached to the Ministry of the Economy, Finance and Recovery, the services of the General Directorate of Customs and Indirect Taxes (DGDDI) have three main missions: fight against fraud, support for economic activity and tax collection .

To come back to the matter above, when someone sees your point, you try to see theirs ;-). So I can come up with a couple of reasons why Customs would like to know of GA aircraft arriving in International airports at the same time let’s say CAT to certain destinations was departing…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Could you speak a bit more clearly?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I still think that the French law we know so far does not back up the requirement for prior notice at these airfields…

Biggin Hill

So I can come up with a couple of reasons why Customs would like to know of GA aircraft arriving in International airports at the same time let’s say CAT to certain destinations was departing…

I can come up with similar reasons on that for ATC, reffuelers, security staff, private handlers…that does not justify 1500E fine (if the story was true), and why not say as such in AIP or Law?

I always sent 24h PNR to PPF even for intra-Schengen flights (I was told off 2 times and it was enough for me to “get it”), I think I may also send 24h PNR on national flights to/from PPF now that you highlight risks and concerns from mixing GA/CAT on same landing times and also last time I got surprised in Cannes on way back from Propriano, we were forced to use the main terminal gate, then it went on for a lengthy talk on passports, PCR tests, essential travel and where you are from and where are you going? all well justified of course in these unprecedented sanitary and dangerous terrorism times but I would have sh*t myself if we got fined for missing 24h PNR on trip France/Corsica !

For places with temporary customs, I usually land park and keep doors wide open with my phone number on windshield if someone is around and we are not (if any aircraft search is required just be my guess) and we also actively seek to meet the guys if the next leg is going somewhere fancy: see it as a sign of good faith and I think it helps any back and forth or drama around departure times…

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Dec 20:34

What is PPF?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Point de Passage Frontalier (“port of entry” if you wish), French airports with “douane + police”

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/article_jo/JORFARTI000043547011

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Dec 20:29

I now have (written) confirmation from French customs it’s OK to fly (in/out) from French non-controlled fields into Switzerland. Extra Schengen still requires customs.

For information, some texts are being rewritten. (into French law that is)
In the meantime, having discussed this subject with the Head of the POC of the DR (boss of the regional customs office), I confirm that, in the absence of goods, you will be able to leave (and return) directly from (to) Bellegarde for your flights between France and the Swiss.
On the other hand, for your extra-Schengen connections (UK for example), you will always have to go through Annecy for immigration formalities.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
Sign in to add your message