Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

If the Basic IR gets included in the scope for DTOs, it will be a success. As long as it is for ATOs only, it will be just another rating that some will do and some not.
If the legislators are serious about flight safety and having more pilots with instrument proficiency, they should unlock the BIR for DTOs.

ESSZ, Sweden

Not sure what BIR intake will be in France but I expect better success than CBIR as it does not required the “hardcore IFR English” (not many can afford Level 6 for English IFR ) but I doubt commercial ATO have an interest in it and most aeroclubs are not ATO and the few don’t have IFR aircrafts anyway…

Maybe worth dropping an email to IroiseAeroFormation (France) or Aero Poznań (Poland), they are on top of their game when it comes to “private pilot IR”? maybe they have adapted their CBIR manual into BIR already

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

4. No 50hr PIC XC before the start of the course.

You only need 50 hours PIC to be issued the IR, you can start the training the day after you get your PPL.

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

You only need 50 hours PIC to be issued the IR, you can start the training the day after you get your PPL.

My understanding was that the BIR (not CBIR) was based only on competency and had no minimum hour requirement. Is that wrong? What is the reference?

See pages 3-4 of this: EAS_Newsletter_2021_06_pdf

Last Edited by chflyer at 10 Jul 20:53
LSZK, Switzerland

It is possible that there has been a bigger take up of the CBIR in France than you might think.
Apart from Iroise there are several clubs, which offer the CBIR by having an agreement with an ATO to do the hours needed in the ATO. I would not be at all surprised if several clubs offer the BIR in a similar fashion. The FFA compiled templates of rhe necessary paperwork for clubs to become DTOs and I think they also provide templates and assistance for those wishing to become ATOs. So it should not be a problem if the demand is there.

France

zuutroy wrote:

Yes, but you will be able to fly P1 IFR in airways under CB/IR only after 50hrs PIC XC + CB/IR.
With BIR it is not – you could fly it even with incomplete BIR (part 1 and part enroute).

EGTR

chflyer wrote:

zuutroy wrote: You only need 50 hours PIC to be issued the IR, you can start the training the day after you get your PPL.

My understanding was that the BIR (not CBIR) was based only on competency and had no minimum hour requirement. Is that wrong? What is the reference?

See pages 3-4 of this: EAS_Newsletter_2021_06_pdf

That’s what zuutroy is saying – you can start your IFR training with and independant IR instructor right after you’ve got a PPL.
Although CB/IR ATOs typically require 50hrs PIC XC + all exams.

EGTR

That is presumably why airline pilot students do an IR and then the CPL?

I agree being able to do the BIR at a DTO is key to it making any difference whatever. All this “FTO” stuff is just a PITA, for all the reasons so often written. Look at the FAA IR…

I think in France any ELP requirement is pretty well a killer. And that analysis was by a “French” pilot so don’t blame me

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ELP is not a killer but it does deter pilots who just simply enjoy flying within France or its dominions and that is still the majority. In that case they wouldn’t bother with any sort of IR anyway. But that still leaves a lot of pilots who like to travel. If @Bordeaux_jim is still around he could give a good idea how many as in Western France most people I know get tested by him for their ELP. Great Service much better than DGAC tests.

France

I just found out that «Flight 4000 Aviation Academy» in Denmark (Randers/Århus and Roskilde/Copenhagen) will offer the BIR.

https://www.flight4000.dk/ (in Danish) will hopefully be updated quite soon.

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway
Sign in to add your message