Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

ErlendV wrote:

Explained on page 6 and 7 in this document

Thanks. But why, oh why, isn’t it explained in the AMC/GM?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

bookworm wrote:

The LOs are now there in the Appendix

Thank you @bookworm
And with @ErlendV ’s kind directions toward the Explanatary Notes regarding the meaning of BIR Exam and BIR TK it all starts to come together.
The next thing to look for will be someone arranging the BIR syllabus items in logical sections, from which the ATOs can design their TK lesson plan.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Just did a survey about this BIR, IR etc. If it is possible to take it locally, then maybe. The main issue for me would be what to use it for once I got the rating. The cost and hours needed is similar to PPL-H. I rather take PPL H, because a helicopter offers utility.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It is less than two months before BIR goes live under EASA, so out of curiousity:
- Does anyone know of an upcoming BIR course at any ATO in Europe? Not seen anyone saying that they will offer one.
- Does anyone know of a BIR theory books? No CB-IR, but BIR?

Thanks!

EGTR

I am confident that a number of ATO’s will offer BIR training as soon as they can have their updated training documents approved (after September 8th of course).
For ATO’s that presently offer CB-IR training it should be fairly easy to modify the training manual to include BIR flight training.

The contents of the BIR TK syllabus is very similar to the CB-IR theory. In fact, there is a TK book series titled “BIR and CB-IR theory” or something similar. I would not expect any specific BIR theory books. The difference is mainly in the TK structure and in the examination, while there is very little difference between the syllabi contents. I am curious too, regarding how many ATO’s will develop TK courses specifically for the BIR. The obvious, easy solution would be just to offer CB-IR theory on the grounds that it is roughly the same syllabus (but with more exams), and that with a CB-IR theory, a BIR holder will at any later time be able to upgrade to a full IR (via CB-IR) without attending further TK exams.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I’m in contact with 20+ ATOs, and none of them plan to offer the BIR. The interest has just not been there for the BIR, they say.

I do a comparison of CB-IR and BIR on my website (https://www.cb-ir.net/cb-ir-or-bir/)

My books (https://www.cb-ir.net) will cover the syllabus. The learning objectives for the CB-IR and BIR are 99% identical.

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

ErlendV wrote:

I’m in contact with 20+ ATOs, and none of them plan to offer the BIR. The interest has just not been there for the BIR, they say.

I really hope that changes soon because I, for one, am very keen on doing it soon.

Last Edited by hmng at 10 Jul 15:57
EHLE, Netherlands

hmng wrote:

I really hope that changes soon because I, for one, am very keen on doing it soon.

Can I ask why? That’s not a comment, but a genuine question!

I don’t know much about it, but looking at ErlendV’s summary about it looks like similar work for the writtens, similar training and a similar exam as the CBIR. But then it’s not ICAO so you can’t use it outside EASA land.

The only advantage that I see from his notes (and admittadly it’s a big one) is the the renewal is a lot easier and doesn’t seem to involve an exam.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

Can I ask why? That’s not a comment, but a genuine question!

I don’t know much about it, but looking at ErlendV’s summary about it looks like similar work for the writtens, similar training and a similar exam as the CBIR. But then it’s not ICAO so you can’t use it outside EASA land.

The only advantage that I see from his notes (and admittadly it’s a big one) is the the renewal is a lot easier and doesn’t seem to involve an exam.

1. There IS a difference in training theory and there is a more substantial difference in exam theory. Plus there is no classroom time.
2. It is all split in 3 parts, they are independent – you’ve done one section and then the other can be done 5 years later. Or 5 weeks later.
3. Easier revalidation.
4. No 50hr PIC XC before the start of the course.
5. You could do everything with any instructor and then only come to ATO for the assessment and the tests.
6. … Or you could fly in the sim with an instructor most of the time, then a few hours transition in the plane and then to ATO.
7. You could upgrade to CB/IR after you’ve flown for year PIC IFR XC without that classroom time.

I’d love to have it in the UK, but CAA said that they don’t want that (at least for now) and UK AOPA… they are not very keen on promoting it either (very unkeen?).

EGTR

What UK AOPA is trying to do, nobody knows. I know from my PPL/IR membership (2005-2015) that the two outfits never spoke to each other, each blaming the other for not supporting the IMC Rating, etc.

The UK won’t want a "souped-up IMCR because the very specific privileges of the IMCR (no Class A) are absolutely key to its survival and political acceptance: it keeps “amateurs” out of the “professional pilots’ airspace”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message