Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

GRIFF wrote:

Where are these published then ?

Only on Apple for now, but I will print them and put them on Amazon as well.

You can find them here.

huv wrote:

That is what used to be IMC rating, right? Do you have a link to the Theory for that?

Well, the IMC-rating was only in the UK as far as I know. The new CB-IR learning objectives are covered in full in my new books.

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

huv wrote:

That all makes sense, except I cannot find any LOs tables with BIR in the AMC. I am surely missing something. @bookworm, can you please point me in the right direction?

The LOs are now there in the Appendix

Peter wrote:

I think the CB IR has improved things but not a lot. We had a thread here a while ago on the annual issues; I can’t find it right now. I don’t know which countries publish the stats but the UK CAA IR issues rose only a little with the CB IR. Perhaps 50% up but from a very low base, so nothing even remotely approaching the improvement many wished to bring adoption numbers somewhere nearer the US scene. Of course in the meantime the FAA IR option has been crippled in Europe (written exams no longer possible here, etc) so the “Euro IR” is more important overall.

The “local PPL school” aspect is key to substantially improving numbers, and is exactly what you have in the US (PPL CPL IR ATP CFI CFII all at your local school) but it runs counter to industry revenue protection and political objectives.

EDIT: on a quick and dirty look here the CBIR era is showing roughly a doubling of the IR issues to PPL holders. About 2% of PPLs are getting an IR, though one can’t tell for sure because the PPL to which the IR is being added was usually done many years earlier. In the US, numbers from 20% to 40% are being mentioned.

I don’t think such generalizations are correct on a European scale (i.e. “EuroGA”), as the situation is not the same across EASA countries. The statements are likely fine with respect to the UK and perhaps a number of other countries as well. But I would hesitate to extend that to the entire European GA scope. I operate out of a grass airfield with a local flying club school. Just this year (even with Corona!), I believe they have turned out around 10 new CB-IR pilots. Last year was similar as well. Other flying clubs in Switzerland also have IR programs. I don’t know where that sits in the overall European scope, but it is not bad for one single club. The comments about industry revenue protection and political objectives are IMHO largely specific to the UK. I feel that the key is a flying school with an IR program as part of their overall training plan. A prerequisite is also a proper aircraft fleet. My club has 4x new (ca. 5yr old) C172s with G1000 and a/p. This is very attractive for prospective IR students coming out of the PPL program. One advantage of flying clubs is that instructors are often a) not full-time and b) able to operate “free-lance” for various clubs. Many of the IR instructors here are commercial jet pilots who have remained close to the roots and have their own GA aircraft.

LSZK, Switzerland

I did a comparison of CB-IR and BIR on my site.

http://www.cb-ir.net

ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

From above, the BIR has the same theory as the CBIR. Unbelievable!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How is that?
There is a column for BIR exam and BK and it’s different from CB/IR and if you scroll down you will see that in many cases LO present for CB/IR and not in BIR.
Please note that a lot of topics for BIR are not in the EXAM column.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

The Learning objectives was released yesterday and can be found here.

Last Edited by ErlendV at 19 Nov 10:32
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

arj1 wrote:

There is a column for BIR exam and BK and it’s different from CB/IR

You are right, but for any practical purposes they are 99% the same in my opinion – and as far as I’ve looked into it. The CB-IR learning objectives will in practice cover the BIR learning objectives, and not with a large overhead either.

If you find any major differences I will be grateful if you point them out (as I’m writing the text books).

ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

So what does “Exam” and “BK” mean? I haven’t found any definitions.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

So what does “Exam” and “BK” mean? I haven’t found any definitions.

Explained on page 6 and 7 in this document local copy

ENKJ, ENRK, Norway
Sign in to add your message