Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your 2023 flying year, how many hours, and aspirations for 2024?

I clocked 61,5h in 2023, of which 58,5h on the Piper. That’s time in air, counting block time would surely give a few % more, but I don’t bother. Managed two family trips (“Corsica revisited” and “Bornholm on foot”), one summer flight to France with the Mrs and three smaller “utility” trips, the longest being EPKM to LOAN Wiener Neustadt and back instead of taking a train.

Even though I have not been flying for two months now, 2023 seemingly has been my best flying year so far. The break is due to an annual inspection dragging on… I wanted to kill two birds at once and add that G5 temperature probe … a very simple add-on, but we were supposed to meet and discuss some details with my mech friend … and then I got sick. Soon after I started feeling better, the mech got sick. And then Christmas came out of the sudden. Hope to get back in the air within a few days, if only the weather allows.

Plans for 2024: Fly up north to Sweden and visit a friend I haven’t seen in person for 10 years. And who knows, maybe finally attend a real fly-in! What aart is cooking up sounds appealing I have noted the dates!

Last Edited by Mateusz at 02 Jan 08:24
EPKM, Poland

I managed 62 hours in 2023. I would like to be more like 75 hours.

KUZA, United States

I got my private ticket in November 2022 so 2023 was my first year as a private pilot.

Plans for the year were ambitious and motivation high. I planned to log at least 50 hours required to start the IR training, get a NVFR and maybe even some basic acrobatic.
Life and work came in the way and only logged around 20 hours of local flying and short cross country but can’t complain. 20 is always better than 0!

The biggest highlight for me was first time flying to France (Carcassonne). Great experience!

My love for aviation is only getting stronger and ambitions are still high. What didn’t happen in 2023 will definitely have to happen in 2024!

Happy flying to everybody!

LELL, Spain

2023 was a really bad year regarding flying due of some health issues. Anyway my wife made it to keep the bird int he air. I hope this year will be better, but I can‘t give a forecast right now.

EDDS , Germany

Top year for me !
About 240 hours, the most ever in a year:
1) Many many hours in my Piper Seneca: big trip to Oshkosh forth and back (thé highlight) http://www.abeam.be/
Also multiple trips to France related to work and with friends.
2) Obtaining my IR add-on on my FI and started training my first CB-IR student at EBKT in his airplane as a freelance instructor
3) Many hours as IR for PPL students at one ATO and two DTOs at EBKT: very rewarding … but still lacking solo supervisions to unrestrict my FI(R)
Next to that I am teaching theory at to ATPLs and to PPLs which has increased my knowledge as well ;-)

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

33h in 2023 out of which 14h dual in order to finish the upgrade of my EIR to CBIR.(Thanks EASA for screwing me by scraping the EIR)
Last flight in August (due to weather & time)
Have missed Texel Fy-in due to bad weather.
Only one big X-country flight to Annemasse to visit friends.

For 2024 hope to make some nice flights and use my CBIR :-)
If anyone has good plan for a plane in Belgium I am interested :-)

Last Edited by jfw at 05 Jan 11:47
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

@jfw you’re not thr only one who got screwed by EASA by just binning the EIR. All the time and money spent…But not worth for me spending even more time and money on upgrading…

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

you’re not thr only one who got screwed by EASA by just binning the EIR

That’s one point that made me step back from the BIR. Who knows what will be next with that rating. I’ve had my share with such ideas. For example, we had a national PPL called “PPL-N” here. On the one hand it was back then an interesting way for me coming from gliders to make my way to the heavies in small non-expensive steps. On the other hand I had so many exams. First one 750 kg rating. Next one 2 tonne rating. Then “controlled VFR” C-VFR rating to finally get the PPL. And I made it just in time before the PPL-N was discontinued.

Anyhow, 2023 was not much of flying for me, several occasions where I could not go for one or the other reasons. My wife is still a bit upset because we had to cancel our planned trip to Elba. And I’m still quite disappointed that we could not come to the meeting in La Cerdanya.

Anyhow learned a lot flying-wise in 2023.

Plans for 2024 include top-priority to finish my IR. And then we already have some trips in mind. 2024 will see more flying for us.

Germany

At the end of 2023, I took a friend in one of our Army Cubs (PA-19) to one of the many frozen lakes here in Norway. On this one they even made a runway for us so we could go there on wheels, not only with ski-equipped planes.

[ URL fixed ]

Nice to play around with the less complex aeroplanes (but very capable) as well!

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

@ErlendV brilliant thank you for posting

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message