Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stupid Questions That You've Always Wondered About

There was a poisoning incident in North Africa after the USAF closed a base and left. A local got oil and packaged it as cooking oil. Paralysis and deaths resulted. ~60 years ago.
Crude oil varies, and even without additives is (usually?) carcinogenic. There are Archaea which can feed and multiply in it, but not Bacteria and Eukaryotes, (Plants, Animals etc).

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

There was a poisoning incident in North Africa after the USAF closed a base and left. A local got oil and packaged it as cooking oil. Paralysis and deaths resulted. ~60 years ago.

There was a similar incident in Spain in 1981 affecting tens of thousands of people.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In order to fly in the cabin, the fly needs to deflect air molecules downwards which will eventually cause a downward force on the airframe, which is equivalent to an increase in its weight by the amount that the fly weighs. This is actually a well known thought experiment in Newtonian mechanics.

What about walking to the rear inside a driving bus? :)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Here is my stupid question.

When I push to talk with ATC, will they hear my passengers if they are talking with me at the same time?

My audio panel is a GMA 340.

Last Edited by Fernando at 27 May 22:15
EGSU, United Kingdom

Only if they talk loud enough.

I always wondered about that myself. But one day I was confronted with a dying PTT button and tried to use the one on the right yoke. That didn’t help and I used the handheld mike. I felt like the guy selling heated blankets on a coach trip but that worked when put in front of the mouth. Only on the ground I realized that I would have had to plug my headset cables into the copilot’s socket in order to use his PTT button.

EDQH, Germany

A PTT [Push To Talk ] button should specifically transmit that speaker only and all others, if using the plane’s Intercom, should be muted.

Last Edited by Peter_G at 27 May 22:08
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

It once took me half an hour to work that out whilst orbiting overhead Guildford in a rented c152. I felt very pleased with myself but got a rocket from the aircraft owner (he’d stayed late awaiting my return) that if I didn’t know how the systems worked, I shouldn’t be flying it.

@Peter_G, @Clipperstorch, @kwlf, many thanks for your answers! I had a suspicion but never managed to test it :)

EGSU, United Kingdom

I was going to ask if birds can fly IFR, but it looks like no. One interesting bit from the Audubon society:

Like many other soaring birds, Great Frigatebirds use thermals to gain altitude. But unlike the others, they ride powerful thermals inside white and puffy cumulus clouds, which can elevate them 13 feet per second. “It’s the only bird that is known to enter into a cloud intentionally,” Henri Weimerskirch, lead author of the paper describing this behavior, told NPR in 2016. By doing so the birds can reach altitudes as high as 13,000 feet.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Geese fly IFR, at least descending from possibly VFR on top. They appeared to use the glow of Inverness lights to descend through thick cloud, then turn south west towards Loch Ness, presumably because a water landing was the only option at night.
I’d guess many long distance migratory birds fly IFR. (Transponders off in UK airspace to avoid prosecution.)
A Manx Shearwater was captured and flown to Italy in a box on a rotating turntable. Released on the Adriatic, it was next seen coming out of it’s home burrow. Time made it likely it had flown direct, over the Alps. This was long before we humans had GPS.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message