Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stupid Questions That You've Always Wondered About

Another one: Why not take off and land in the same speed and (flap) configuration?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Another one: Why not take off and land in the same speed and (flap) configuration?

My best understanding:

On takeoff you have an engine that gives power. You want to get airborne as soon as (safely) possible and you will accelerate rapidly once in the air. The flap setting is a compromise between takeoff speed and drag which usually works out as no flap or limited flap.

On landing you want both low speed and high drag so you (normally) use maximum flap. I would think that the actual touch-down speed is about the same as the actual liftoff speed but before the flare you want to go faster for manoeuvrability and stall margin.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Actually I always land with takeoff config,
- On short flights done under low power…I keep takeoff config
- On tricky landings: night, weather…I keep takeoff config all the time

I leave gear down and 1/2 flaps when doing “slow 90kts stuff” in M20J: final, missed, climb, circuit, hold, busy circuit, hardcore weather….I fly using throttle only under 2000ft agl, I found fiddling with config to be useless: it does not make much difference in saving fuel

I only use full flaps on landing or hastily raise gear on takeoff when runway are very short

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Not a good idea in the TB20.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why not take off and land in the same speed and (flap) configuration?

As a matter of fact many do… springing to my mind are some of the 2 seater Jodels, Piper Cubs, and many more

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

dublinpilot wrote:

I would suggest that the principal difference is that other fora exist for profit.

Thx @dublinpilot, I think that sums it up nicely. I was actually interested in knowing what the chatbot finds elsewhere on the web on this topic….

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Dan wrote:

springing to my mind are some of the 2 seater Jodels, Piper Cubs, and many more

Clearly the answer to this topic is very much type-specific

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Probably the main difference with EuroGA is that it is moderated to not allow personal attacks. A certain % of people finds this difficult, especially as they always come to us from another forum which does allow personal attacks. That % is very small (~2%) but is exceedingly vocal, and often very cunning

The lack of advertising is the other difference with most forums. But I would say that all those other forums which do not carry ads are still operated as another facet of some other online site which is run to make money. I am not aware of another donation funded GA forum, and in the long run nobody will run a site which constantly consumes their money.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So here in Switzerland and also in France and Germany, it seems CTRs are class D.

By contrast, in Sweden they are class C.

So the hypothetical 300kts low approach is possible in Sweden, but not in Switzerland or Germany. It would be possible to do an early missed approach, going missed before entering CTR at 300kts though.

Speaking of high speeds and military: here in Switzerland it is quite common to see military PC21 2 ship formations flying low level in airspace Golf and E, at around 300kts. I always wondered if this is just tolerated or if it is actually perfectly legal for the military to do this stuff. Feels scary when you are a lowly PPL student sharing the exact same airspace.

Switzerland

Feels scary when you are a lowly PPL student sharing the exact same airspace.

Ok, just can’t resist this one

Don’t worry, nothing can happen, period.
Military pilots, including Swiss ones (…), are carefully selected, trained to the highest standards, and are using the latest and best equipment to its utmost capability. See, nothing, I repeat, nothing can happen. Really.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message