Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stupid Questions That You've Always Wondered About

’However, the mag switch key does have an additional function: it ensures that mags are grounded for safety and cannot be ungrounded by anybody but me whether or not the canopy is locked,"
Disagree. But not saying how. You should know

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I think the answer is simple:

• historically, many planes did not have an electrical system, but still needed the double-ignition ignition + starter switch
  • the engine subsystem (Lyco/Conti context) is autonomous from the rest of the aircraft (and will keep going even if your alternator etc blows us)

So it makes perfect sense to keep them separate.

In e.g. the Diamond diesels the separation is much less clear.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

’However, the mag switch key does have an additional function: it ensures that mags are grounded for safety and cannot be ungrounded by anybody but me whether or not the canopy is locked,"

Disagree. But not saying how. You should know.

The assumption is that kids and idiots are not going to lift the cowling and unscrew/disconnect the mag ground wires as they casually walk around on the ramp and peer into open cockpits.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Nov 07:42

Why is the ramp called the ramp?

And also, why apron?

I found the eymology of an apron, from Middle English a napron, from Old French napperon (diminuative of nappe or tablecloth). Is ‘open flat area’ too tenuous?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

Why is the ramp called the ramp?

Some time ago I read something about being linked to seaplanes and the ramp out of the water. Not sure if this is accurate.

EGSU, United Kingdom

Why no aviation in the Olympic Games? Aerobatics or rally (precision navigation plus spot landings) can’t be that different from sailing or equestrian.

Because all the venues would be covered by restricted areas for security reasons, and therefore it would be impossible to do the flying…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Capitaine wrote:

Why no aviation in the Olympic Games? Aerobatics or rally (precision navigation plus spot landings) can’t be that different from sailing or equestrian.

I thought there had been, so I looked it up. Gliding was included as a demonstration sport in the 1936 Olympic Games and were scheduled to be part of the regular olympic programme in 1940. But as we know, those games never took place.

There is a general ban on sports “in which performance depends essentially on mechanical propulsion”. So (powered) aerobatics and precision flying are not eligible. However, gliding is still in principle eligible as an olympic sport.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Why no aviation in the Olympic Games?

It happened just once in 1936. Note the symbol on the tail.

(Crossed posts with @Airborne_Again)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Jan 16:00

Thank you both No mechanical propulsion does match the amateur spirit, and it was an interesting summary of the 1936 games.

Sign in to add your message