Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen approach plates vs AIP plates

I would like to see if there's Jepp chart describing SID for LZZI in Slovakia. It's clearly described in AIP with reference to approach chart - there's no separate SID chart published. Can somebody who has Jepp plates check what you get in this particular case?

PS: Hope that posting individual charts in low res is OK.

Jepp does have a Deps chart for LZZI, and on cursory glance it matches the textual description in the AIP.

LSZK, Switzerland

The problem is that one needs to collect a load of info, hopefully from the experience of many pilots (much of which will not ever become public) and then make one's own judgements.

Where I am based at least, the training establishment doesn't like people who do this. They want you to learn only from them, not push your boundaries, and they view anyone with an independent opinion who backs their own judgement over institutional dogma as a dangerous maverick.

They regard forums as particularly bad, as though it is a risk for pilots to be exposed to any information that may not be 'approved' or 'correct' as far as they are concerned. The idea that we might have the intelligence to sift what we read and decide what is worth paying attention to seems to elude them.

This attitude from otherwise relatively smart and likeable people is one of my biggest frustrations in flying.

EGLM & EGTN

Yeah, which is also why schools don't like pilots (especially aircraft owners who go places) hanging around post-PPL, why they don't like people doing presentations on flying to Europe - really anything that shows up their instructors in less than perfect light.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

With having said that calculating minima was no problem, I just thought I'd dig out a textbook and check the process to be sure.

They explain it in a very convoluted way, as with most things in aviation - making it sound much more complex that it actually is. But for a Cat 1 ILS it boils down to:

The DH is the greater of 250' or the OCH given on the ICAO plate.

The 250' come from the 200' system minima for a Cat 1 ILS plus 50' pressure error correction on the altimeter. For Cat 2 replace 200' with 100', and for Cat 3 replace with 50'.

What is so difficult about this? When I was being taught it, it was made out to be something cryptic that one couldn't possibly be bothered with working out.

EGLM & EGTN

We discussed the 50ft pressure error before and I think the conclusion was that it is not applicable for our operations. Therefore it is the greater of 200ft/OCA.

Even simpler! Can you point me to where we discussed it?

EGLM & EGTN

Here.

Thanks. So my question is, does PEC actually feature in the 'rules' anywhere or is it just found in textbooks and classrooms?

When sat on the ground, my altimeters consistently display around 50' less than they should (per airfield elevation) when I set a QNH that I'm passed. It looks like this error is on the safe side when it comes to approaches.

EGLM & EGTN

Good for exercising your "grey matter", but flying any instrument approach purely "by heart" (which also does not update automatically :) is not wise. Trust me....

@Antek - sorry I could have written what I said better. I wasnt meaning that I really had memorised the whole sets of approach charts (my grey matter wouldnt allow that), but that at Cambridge for example doing an ILS on runway 23, I recall its outbound 60 degrees, descend not below 1700 ft to D8 and then inbound on 231 degrees. I might not remember all of those figures, but rather than squinting trying to read absolutely everything on the national plate, I would know where to look and I would quickly confirm those figures in the air. This is opposed to having the plate for an airfield I havent had a look at on the ground in detail, and picked out the salient points for, and then trying to figure it all out in the air. Of course, the gCap and Jepp plates are easier to read in the air, and are much less congested and dont need so much untangling on the ground.

Sign in to add your message