Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen approach plates vs AIP plates

€ 187,50 is the price for one unit € 375.00 is te price for my TWO GNS430s

Looks like more than 20 % :-)

Yes the Jepp ones may be more readable by common consent, but at the end of the day they are just different and one can become used to whichever format one uses.

I also "recoil in horror" from using AIP plates. I tried using them at the beginning, but quickly gave up and gave my money to Jeppesen.

They are fine as long you are in the "training" mode - study each approach well before the flight, and fly only those approaches that you planned for in the sortie.

Then I tried a nice long flight from A to B, with C,D,E,F and thru X as possible en-route diversion if something went wrong, crossing a few countries in the process. The hassle of collecting and printing the 20-30 approaches, learning about each country's formats, thinking about minima can easily take an afternoon - and the alternative is trying to figure it out in the air when, by definition, something has already gone wrong when I have to divert en-route.

If you throw a Jeppesen plate at me just before reaching the IAF, I can brief and fly the approach from scratch, including knowing instantly whether the weather is sufficient.

The problem with their pricing is that it makes sense in the context of an operator, who flies IFR all year round, and aircraft owners, where 1-2,000 per year are not that much. For a renter with an annual flying budget of 10k, who only rarely commits IFR, the price is ridiculous.

Biggin Hill

The problem with their pricing is that it makes sense in the context of an operator, who flies IFR all year round, and aircraft owners, where 1-2,000 per year are not that much. For a renter with an annual flying budget of 10k, who only rarely commits IFR, the price is ridiculous.

I agree and am not for a moment defending their pricing but if you fly IFR a lot in your own aircraft I think the cost is high but bearable for the convenience. And as you say, I am often on business trips where I don't know where I will be flying tomorrow. I can't feasibly take all the plates I might need from the AIPs. And I also often don't know what runway or approach I will use when there are multiple runways and ILS + RNAV approaches. I normally decide and brief on flight on the approach.

(as an off topic aside) I find it more valuable to pre-brief the taxi plate before takeoff as that can get you into real trouble if you are not able to comply efficiently with taxi instructions.

EGTK Oxford

Of course there is - you still get 4 devices to use with Jeppview/iPads if you buy MFD charts. If you are happy to syndicate that out, then it is no different from a non-panel mount charts sub.

Aaaah BUT somebody (i.e. YOU) has to pay for that MFD sub

Whereas if you are flying with Jepps on say an Ipad, or with printed Jepps, you can be bottom-feeding (I like that term, even though it apparently has another meaning I never knew about) off somebody else's sub.

Looks like more than 20 %

I've just spent 10 mins searching EuroGA and I can't find the thread, but a few people, myself included, had a play with the Garmin website and found the figures on there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Most airlines don't use Jeppesen but something from LIDO or similar vendors. I think the LIDO charts are very nice, better than Jeppesen but unfortunately they are only available for the typical airline destinations whereas Jeppesen do everything that has an ICAO code.

When I planned my first flight to Egypt, I asked Jeppesen to add Egypt to my subscription. They said not possible, I have to pay ca. €2500 but I can get a trip kit. The trip kit would be a paper printout of the applicable charts. As I started about 6 months before the flight with the preparations, my question was how I can get an update before I leave. Not possible, I'd have to buy another trip kit. Ridiculous so I found another way...

Peterm I don't need a thread - I have the INVOICE here and I just paid for it a week ago :-) Almost twice the price, 187.50 vs 375

Alexis,

We may have wires partially crossed but see this

The single GNS500 one is €359 and the dual one is €485.

So you are right - a lot more than 20% extra but a lot less than you are paying for the extra unit.

I created an account on the Garmin site and chose the only Navdata option which does all of Europe.

There are also other products e.g. the Jepp terminal chart subscription and they might have different pricing structures, but not a lot of people would be buying two terminal chart subs, I would think.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, for my 2 GNS430s i pay € 187.50 - and € 375 for both. I'll send you the invoice by eMail :-)

MY MISTAKE Peter, ... I have foud out what's going on!

The invoice is just incredibly stupid. They calculate the discount and then they divide the amount /2 ... so instead of € 275 per subscription I pay € 187 per unit ... and € 375 together.

Sorry :-)

(But with the crosswind topic I'll not give in :-))

On this we can all agree - Jeppesen invoices are unintelligible. I have to say the only thing worse in my experience is Eurocontrol route charge invoices.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message