Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen approach plates vs AIP plates

Vref wrote:

E.g Belgium AD 2.22

These are all charted in the AIP…?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Vref wrote:

Take Emirs sample LUKAVEC has a DME 4.6 from FAF 109,85 find that on the AIP chart …?

Good point – Croatian AIP charts show DME only via channel when it’s not colocated with VOR or ILS. So CH 35Y is actually 109.85 MHz. I must admit that’s kind of strange and confusing and I’ve never understood the idea behind publishing something that actually can’t be set using device’s user interface.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

So CH 35Y is actually 109.85 MHz. I must admit that’s kind of strange and confusing and I’ve never understood the idea behind publishing something that actually can’t be set using device’s user interface.

Just like this? it’s what happens when you put someone with PhD in Electrical Engineering in chart of AIP plates, no offence to our E. E.

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Nov 21:12
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Aviation is so full of crap.

No wonder we are all weird

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

The elephant in the room for me is always the charts without DH/MDA where one needs to calculate from OCH.

As I’ve never really used charts which only have OCA/H I kind of missed on that. How do you actually do that?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

How do you actually do that?

The NCO for operational minima and the AIP for state minima
People go for Jepps which use ‘CAT+AIP’ minima

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

As I’ve never really used charts which only have OCA/H I kind of missed on that. How do you actually do that?

As long as the OCH is at least the system minimum for the approach type, you just use the OCA/H as the (M)DA/H.

If it is less – which is not uncommon for ILS approaches but less so for other types – you have to increase the OCA with the difference between the OCH and the system minimum. This involves some arithmetic which is simple but you still probably want to do before actually flying the approach.

E.g. if the OCA for an ILS approach is 365 feet and the OCH is 167 feet, then your DA will be 398 feet and the OCH 200 feet as the system minimum for a Cat I ILS is 200 feet.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 23 Nov 09:49

Ibra wrote:

Just like this?

I didn’t even know that you’re still allowed to use ILS/VOR equipment with 100 kHz channel spacing. But I guess that as long as the receiver bandwidth is narrow enough it is ok. As long as you avoid approaches such as the LFPN 26R ILS.

Ok, thanks @Airborne_Again. That makes sense. I thought it might be like this but it is great to get confirmation.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

How do you actually do that?

There are calculators out there which convert from the OCH stuff on the AIP plates to the actually usable Jepp-style DH.

The reason this is not a huge issue, or a huge safety issue, is because the people who use AIP plates practically never fly an IAP to minima. In fact I’d bet most don’t even know the OCH is not a DH.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message