Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen approach plates vs AIP plates

That’s because you zoomed the actual PDF

PDF format is scaleable. I can do the same

but then, on the screen, I see only a tiny bit of the plate. I used a 400% zoom in the PDF reader.

sharpens if you tap the screen

What is “tapping the screen”? Is that a zoom-in? In that case, obviously, that will magnify the PDF You just don’t see the rest of the plate.

At first I thought you have a broken Ipad which needs a tap to make the LCD work.

This is going around in circles.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Tapping the screen is my high tech way of saying I tap the screen with my finger 2 taps.
A bit like one taps the glass on old aircraft instruments (which you shouldn’t do of course) when they don’t budge off the starting position.🙂
So, here we have a chart which AA reckons is illegal
Emir reckons is not proper.
Peter cannot read it.
ICAO admits it has been unable to get standardisation across NAAs, but they must be produced and available, reciprocally to other NAAs.
ICAO did manage agreement that they should be A5 format.
The DGAC insist that the charts must use the French language as the taxpayer pays for them.
LFMT have particular problems when it comes to fitting all necessary information on one page.
I agree that Jeppesen offer standardised plates across the world, and they may have a larger text.
But as I have written before, I am quite happy to use the eAIP plates within France and have been used to doing so over a few thousand hours of flying.

France

Peter wrote:

Displaying that PDF with a zoom factor chosen to yield just under 600px wide, and doing a screenshot, produces this which is as “unreadable” as the rest. Well, the text can be read but it is too small.

On my screen, this is noticeably better than what you showed in post #70. Of course, the Jeppesen plate is (much) better still.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I didn’t say I can’t read it, but what we have here is a never-ending argument rooted in not understanding the difference between vector and raster.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I didn’t say I can’t read it, but what we have here is a never-ending argument rooted in not understanding the difference between vector and raster.

I’m not sure where the raster graphics are found for the plates – every time I open those on any device, I see them as vector PDF file.

EGTR

I own up I can’t say I know the difference between vector and raster but I do have a good knowledge of images and image manipulation having had a passion for it since I was 5 years old and helping my dad tint photo negatives.

Last Edited by gallois at 04 Nov 10:48
France

Uploaded a PDF file from SIA site. Can anyone see it or is it just data?

It works and I can confirm that it’s as same as in EAD (and consequently in ForeFlight).

On my phone (iPhone X) is immediately clear when zoomed.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This is worth noting: Jepp plates don’t warn you about FR-only.

Administrator

As Ibra said, they do.

Jepp rarely misses to copy a note over from the AIP, but sometimes they hide them a little.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This is worth noting: Jepp plates don’t warn you about FR-only.

It does – it’s at the end of the briefing strip.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message