Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen approach plates vs AIP plates

Oh yes – missed that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Can anyone find the IAP plate for the MEN6R departure in Foreflight?

Administrator

That isn’t called MEN6R, which is what you get in the departure clearance.

So I use Jeppesen plates…

I just try to load whatever I can load on FF, for reference, but I don’t use it for anything vital, because it shuts down so easily when it gets warm.

Administrator

The plate posted by Emir shows “MEN 6R”.

Last Edited by lionel at 16 Nov 12:57
ELLX

Who designed this crap?

Administrator

As you know, it has always been the case that AIP plates have not been particularly user friendly. France splits many terminal procedures onto two separate pages.

That is and has always been the added value of Jeppesen.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What I don’t get is ATC issuing “MEN6R” (in the completely standard way) and the national AIP plate showing this as well hidden as it could possibly be. Not in the chart title, for a start.

But then there is the attitude in most countries in Europe that the AIP plates are not intended for flying with; they are just for promulgating the data. Like the SIA 1:1M charts.

I am sure all bizjet pilots are using Jepp plates. No idea what airline pilots use nowadays but they know the route backwards anyway.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What I don’t get is ATC issuing “MEN6R” (in the completely standard way) and the national AIP plate showing this as well hidden as it could possibly be. Not in the chart title, for a start.

If all the AIP charts were the quality of the French ones, I would not buy Jeppesen. I find the title of that one actually easier than the Jeppesen way. When you are issued “MEN6R”, you already know that you are departing from RWY30R, and that chart contains all RNAV SIDs from RWY30R. So whatever your SID clearance, you know which chart to look at. OK, if you are ever issued a conventional navigation SID in an airport where RNAV SIDs are available, you’ll have to look at the “CONV 30R Initial Departures”.

By contrast, the Jeppesen title has a big string like “BRUSC 6R, KELAM 6R, MEN6R” and it takes a lot of reading and parsing to see which chart is the correct one.

Nowadays I am “saved” because I use Foreflight, and it will just automagically show me the right plate, as will my Garmin G500 TXi MFD and Garmin GTN 750 navigator. But woe me if I have to find the right one myself.

Last Edited by lionel at 16 Nov 18:56
ELLX

lionel wrote:

as will my Garmin GTN navigator

This won’t show in a legacy Garmin (and maybe KLN, as usual: RNAV overlay with turn toward course-to-fix being VOR radial), the way-points are available if you fancy trying

In GTN, you find everything but you still struggle naming as they differ from Jepps/AIP but it’s easy to pull and cross-check quickly with a big screen

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Nov 18:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I am sure all bizjet pilots are using Jepp plates. No idea what airline pilots use nowadays but they know the route backwards anyway.

There are only a couple of them LIDO, NAVBLUE, JEPP….Airline companies pay for a service and get only the stuff interesting for their operations…..
This means you won’t see category AB if you subscribe as an A320 operator unless you pay for it :-).

What I find a pain for the AIP plates you need to dive into the AD section to find the descriptions for a SID STAR….If you use only the plate you can be in for a big surprise…JEPP is only re-compiling the information in structured way…. Unfortunately, the people who are dealing with Annex 15 are not Pilots :-(

Last Edited by Vref at 21 Nov 09:54
EBST
Sign in to add your message