Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen approach plates vs AIP plates

Rwy20 wrote:

Question to the experienced pilots: Do you always identify the navaids you use?

One of us does – me or the aircraft!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Absolutely. Caught one ground station not having switched the ILS around, as well as a mis-tuned DME in frequency hold mode.

Both mistakes (doesn’t matter if mine or somebody else’s) very likely would not have resulted in death, but in a “WTF?” moment and go-around

Biggin Hill

My opinion only:

There is no reason to use Jepp charts at all.
Since we have AIP charts available for free – I use those without any problems in IFR.
Few k eur saved already.

Poland

Jepp is just using their position at European market selling their plates for big bucks because their product is much better than AIP plates. Compare it with US where the equivalent of European AIP plates is available from the federal government and these plates are as good as Jepp’s – they charge much less.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It’s not so much about “good” and “bad”. European AIP charts are also good – at least in a few countries. And there is the problem: the different (and in some cases terrible) charting styles across Europe. The USA is one country, hence only one charting style.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Emir wrote:

Jepp is just using their position at European market selling their plates for big bucks because their product is much better than AIP plates. Compare it with US where the equivalent of European AIP plates is available from the federal government and these plates are as good as Jepp’s – they charge much less.

Hi Emir, I think it is a question of perception – I’ve been taught to fly IAPs on AIP plates.
I’ve never used a Jepp plate for a flight in a real plane – only the old Jepp plates in the MS FS.

EGTR

Nestor wrote:

How about convincing Lufthansa or AirFrance-KLM to commercially release their proprietary unified worldwide plates database ?
It would create a European solution to challenge Boeing/Jeppesen’s monopoly.

Bottlang used to be a European supplier of data, but Jeppesen bought them. One of the things I like about Jeppesen that was mentioned earlier is that the formats are consistent across different countries. I have not really seen a format that I didn’t like, but it’s nice to have the same format. A bit like miles and kilometers – happy with either, but just pick one.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I have not really seen a format that I didn’t like

Check Italian AIP plates

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Check Italian AIP plates

Or French.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What’s wrong with the French plates I use them all the time for both IFR and VFR, I like them and they are free.

France
Sign in to add your message