Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen approach plates vs AIP plates

I’m not very experienced but I don’t identify the navaid by morse code every time. I use my GPS moving map as a cross check that I’m established. That does more in extra safety than identifying a navaid and IMO removes the need to listen to morse codes.

Always ident beacons and navaids! The procedure is there for a reason. If you have auto ident, you are still verifying the ident, just the computer is doing the hard work if you don’t know morse code.

You may discover the navaid isn’t working, is switched to the other runway in the case of an ILS, or many other fun snags.

London area

You never need to know morse code because the terminal charts usually show the required code e.g.

Don’t the free national terminal charts have the same?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Dutch one posted here doesn’t show the morse code.

Hmmm. the UK ones have it

They however still remain horribly cluttered. What bright person decided to include the latitude and longitude of everything?

Like most of the free charts, this one is unreadable to most people over 18 if printed in A5 size.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Like most of the free charts, this one is unreadable to most people over 18 if printed in A5 size

Hence the value of the “pinch to zoom” feature of the ipad and similar devices ;)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yes, Jeppesen targets the 60+ generation, the ones that still remember what a “printer” is

Today’s generation is different.

I’d be happy to use the the national charts, only that my Avidyne MFD does not support them, and I like to have an active approach chart right in fron of me, with the all the data, and not in my lap. So i pay … (i think € 2600 per year for everything, 2 × GNS430W, MFD Navdata, VFR and IFR charts)

Jeppesen targets the 60+ generation, the ones that still remember what a “printer” is

I am not quite 60 but I don’t agree. It doesn’t matter whether you display the chart on A5 paper or on an Ipad Mini or a Samsung T700 or similar tablet. It won’t be readable unless you zoom/pan, but that is not right; the entire chart should be readable. Flying an approach is a high workload situation. The highest one is flying the missed approach…

Administrator

If you cannot read it on a iPad mini with retina display (i can read it fine, see photo of iPad mini Gen 3) then you can use a full size iPad.

Sign in to add your message