Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying high in VFR in European countries

Ibra wrote:

Maybe DFS does not show en-route Frequencies for TMA but I am sure Jepps charts do (I will check later at home)

To be honest it does not make much sense in many areas in Germany as DFS reoganizes their IFR sectors all the time according to traffic, staff etc. If you need an IFR pick up you call on a frequency you know for that area and usually they tell you to switch to another one… Next time you try the new frequency and the game starts all over again.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

That probably tells about the amount of VFR traffic at that altitude.

It probably tells you as much about who uses SD where, and their willingness to feed errors back to SD in English

SkyDemon does not show some airspace above FL120 in UK, does not show nationwide TMZ above FL100, does not show Echo Airways in France, does not show TRA(G) while in gliding in Scotland, there is also the permanent airspace activated/dis-activated on weekends and night where this is not handled properly

That’s incredible. Well, not showing Class E is perhaps defended by saying it is a VFR product

What apps do show this stuff? Does Foreflight show it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What apps do show this stuff? Does Foreflight show it?

I am not sure ForeFlight does a better job for VFR neither but it’s getting better and better, hopefully they get up to par with SkyDemon on VFR
I think one still has to cross-check SD against VFR VAC, AIP and IFR plates and paper maps
Most discrepancies are due to one source being outdated…

Sebastian_G wrote:

If you need an IFR pick up you call on a frequency you know for that area and usually they tell you to switch to another one…

Yes there is no hardcoded list for en-route ATC frequencies nor for ATC sectors but I disagree on this being completely delegated to SIV/FIS and PIC saying it’s not my problem, for uncontrolled VFR/IFR, it’s the PIC problem (maybe flying too much in UK where by the time London FIS gets one a clearance into CAS they are probably outside UK FIR or have landed already )

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Sep 08:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Good to know, well yes SkyDemon does not show some airspace above FL120 in UK, does not show nationwide TMZ above FL100, does not show Echo Airways in France, does not show TRA(G) while in gliding in Scotland, there is also the permanent airspace activated/dis-activated on weekends and night where this is not handled properly

Generally speaking, SkyDemon doesn’t show “default” airspace. What I find is the problem is that there is no documentation (that I’ve found) that tells you what this “default” airspace is.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

does not show Echo Airways in France

Yes it does.

T28
Switzerland

Maybe it’s my settings but I will be impressed if you have a picture of SkyDemon showing Echo Airways from FL065 to FL115 above Calais & LeTouquet ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Sep 08:53

Click on map layers, click on Airways mode.

T28
Switzerland

Good to know, well yes SkyDemon does not show some airspace above FL120 in UK

Did you adjust your declutter altitude?

T28
Switzerland

T28 wrote:

Click on map layers, click on Airways mode

I know that, I was referring to VFR chart, or are you suggesting one should fly “Airways mode” while on VFR? ok, assuming someone is clever enough to look at “Airways mode”, how do you know that the Airway sits in Golf, or Echo or even Alpha?

T28 wrote:

Did you adjust your declutter altitude?

I know that as well, can you tell something I don’t know?

While pulling legs, I can give you a far better trick to navigate in SkyDemon with everything listed on the map, click Airfields, open AIP, select France, read it, draw it and everything will be there

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Sep 09:21

T28 wrote:

Click on map layers, click on Airways mode.

Doesn’t work, sorry – it shows the airways but not the Class E in that area, even in airways mode. (I’m talking about Class E FL65+ around Calais).

EGTR
Sign in to add your message