Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

I fly to Sion all the time. Under 2 t there is no handling as noted above. I would not be worried about the need for hangarage. In the dead of winter the S side of the airport can he shaded all day and thus never warm up. But the normal GA ramp is on the N side and always gets sunny and warm by late morning. You can ask for availabilty on N side GA ramp when you email them. I have only twice been put on S side(in 15 years) and that was due to work on N side.

If you absolutely need hangarage you can try asking Farner. Everyone else will charge you a large fortune.

Taxis are indeed expensive. Burt you can get EVERYWHERE by train, bus etc. Use sbb.ch to see how to use public transport. It will work out route, interlinkages and cost to include train, bus and even cable car. It will give you a good idea of the magic of swiss efficiency.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear this. The footprint of your plane is probably about the same as mine… arbitrary yes !

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Am guessing coming from the UK LSGS Sion is less weather dependent than LIMW Aosta, just follow the Rhone valley, no pass etc

What’s a good intermediate ski resort with hopefully budget Swiss accommodation?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I think Aosta LIMW has good wx. It doesn’t seem to get long periods of low cloud or fog.

Sion has had good reports on wx too; my main issue is that – for my skiing level – the choice of locations nearby may be limited. The runs around that area are mostly black or very black I like wide well groomed runs and they aren’t common. That’s why I like Cervinia. But I could easily be missing something really good.

Also in the current climate I much prefer a taxi over a stuffy shuttle bus, but don’t want to pay more than about €300 each way.

“Swiss” and “budget” and “skiing” are mutually incompatible

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@RobertL18C I’d look at skiing in Crans-Montana from Sion. The rail service from Sion to Sierre is very regular and from Sierre there’s a funicular to Crans Montana as well as a regular bus service. My children did a lot of their formative skiing there and love going back. It’s South facing aspect gives it a lot of sun.

@mmgreve was the taxi from Sion to Saas Fee? If so then I can see that being eye wateringly expensive, it’s a long way. Better to catch the train to Visp and then either taxi from there or bus. The train service along the Rhone Valley is really good with frequent services.

This was Sion’s parking this afternoon and there was only one space left. It looks like a popular airport for local flyers as most of them weren’t there for long. The landing fee was 25 CHF plus VAT and parking was 4 CHF per day plus VAT. I was also charged 7 CHF plus VAT for a passenger and 16.50 CHF plus VAT for Skguide. In total 65.15 CHF for landing with a passenger and parking for three days in a TB20. Fuel was 2.65 CHF plus VAT per litre. VAT in Switzerland is 7.7%. I would recommend Crans Montana to ski from there as the rail service from Sion to Sierre is very good (10 to 11 minute journey with trains on average every twenty minutes or so). Sion train station is about a twenty minute walk from the airport but there is a bus service and of course taxis. Once at Sierre there’s the funicular into Crans or the bus.

Is anyone interested in doing a final one for this winter?

I might be able to do one during the next week or so. Not sure about the wx though… Snow looks good though – finally they are getting some more

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m driving with some of my family to Switzerland at the weekend for ten days away and as we’re in the valley next door (although it’s a one and a half hour drive) for research purposes will try to make a trip to Zermatt to ski the Cervinia pistes

As an aside I’ve noticed a significant increase in the cost of driving out to the point that after fuel draw back my flight last week to Sion in my TB20 was cheaper than my planned driving trip.

Zermatt is far better for skiing in my opinion than Cervinia, especially the scenery is way more special. However, for beginners and intermediate skiers, Cervinia has indeed the easier and well-groomed slopes. On the other hand, the ropeways are on the Swiss side way more comfortable and modern. It’s also a matter of costs. Cervinia or Valtournenche are way cheaper for stay and skipass, compared to Zermatt, even if you have the international skipass.

Crans-Montana is horrible by the way as ski-area. Don’t like it at all. In the low season, they don’t open all slopes and lifts, which means, reduced skiing posibilities. It’s also a very expensive place. I would prefer 4 Vallées, Val d’Anniviers, Zermatt, Saas Fee, Grächen, Aletsch Arena, Portes du Soleil or even Villars-Diablerets. Last two ski areas are also reachable via aerodrome Bex (LSGB) or even Gstaad (LSGK) for Villars-Diablerets with Glacier 3000. And if you even like some smaller places, Valais has some awesome secret ski places as well!

Will_c wrote:

and parking was 4 CHF per day plus VAT.
Are you sure? I paid 6 CHF per night last time for parking, and that price is also mentioned on their homepage.
Last Edited by Frans at 09 Mar 11:59
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message