Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Airport fees at Samedan may be extremely high compared to Sion, but are easily offset against transportation costs from the airport to the skiing village.

In the end high fees are better than no parking allowed (max duration of 1 hour), which is applicable to Innsbruck during winter.

EHBD, Netherlands

It’s been reported here that Innsbruck does not allow any GA parking beyong a few hours, all year, and that the aeroclub has a monopoly on all parking. Has this changed?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, it’s only in winter and then only applies Wednesday evening to Sunday evening.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

dutchTraveler wrote:

Airport fees at Samedan may be extremely high compared to Sion, but are easily offset against transportation costs from the airport to the skiing village.
As always: It depends. If you want to go to Veysonnaz (4 Vallées), it is not so much more expensive by taxi, compared to a ride into St. Moritz from Samedan. Sure, all the way down to Zermatt is very expensive by taxi, but can also be done by public transportation to reduce costs massively. To give some idea: From Sion airport to Veysonnaz costs just 12 CHF by bus and to Zermatt 57 CHF by train (full adult price). There is a bus stop very close to the GA-terminal, just on the other side of the railroad. In Samedan, public transportation is too far away when you have some luggage with you (especially in winter).

dutchTraveler wrote:
In the end high fees are better than no parking allowed (max duration of 1 hour), which is applicable to Innsbruck during winter.
True, but Switzerland allows GA parking in general. There are no airports I know where GA-parking is not allowed. I guess, this is more an issue in France and Austria.
Last Edited by Frans at 07 Feb 10:27
Switzerland
I have a new suggestion for you guys, Åre via ENVA. It’s a bit under 2hours drive from ENVA to the ski resort, which has a good ski area. And ENVA has all you need for coming IFR or VFR including 2.9km long runway, ILS, open 24/7, immigration and custom, 100LL and Jet-A1.

Towards the end of March, it’s pretty good usually…

ENVA, Norway

I have a new suggestion for you guys, Åre via ENVA.

Good suggestion but I first have to explore Norway in summer

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I also have been recommended Sarajevo as a very good value for money fly to ski destination. But my remote research suggests the ski opportunities are not that great compared to other options and the price advantage is eaten up by the additional flying time.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

I also have been recommended Sarajevo as a very good value for money fly to ski destination. But my remote research suggests the ski opportunities are not that great compared to other options and the price advantage is eaten up by the additional flying time.

No 100LL at LQSA, so that pretty much limits GA fleet that can easily go there. Yet Jet A1 is pretty cheap.

There are two mountains with decent ski slopes (Bjelasnica and Jahorina – both hosted winter olympic games in 1984) and solid infrastructure but both are below standards of Italian, Swiss or Austrian ski resorts. However, food, fun, and night life (especially Jahorina) are much better than in those three countries.

The additional problem is altitude – those mountains are not so high and geographically are close to Adriatics, so sudden south wind from Mediterranean (which happens few times during winter) can sometimes completely melt down the snow.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

If you’re looking for alternatives outside the Alps, I would consider Poprad-Tatry (LZTT) as a nice ski destination in Slovakia. Their ski areas are high-modern with almost the same standards as in Austria, however, food and accommodation prices are way cheaper (with some expensive exceptions though).

Andorra La Seu (LESU) is also good for skiing. Never been there by plane yet, but I know several ski areas in the vicinity quite well. Especially Grandvalira, Vallnord and La Molina / Masella are modern and very nice to ski.

Last Edited by Frans at 07 Feb 16:06
Switzerland

Is anyone planning to do a fly2ski in March?

The temperatures are still nice and low.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message