Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Frans wrote:

Zermatt is far better for skiing in my opinion than Cervinia, especially the scenery is way more special.

I didn’t find that although I must admin I didn’t ski on all Zermatt slopes, unlike Cervinia where I have skied every meter of the slopes.

Frans wrote:

On the other hand, the ropeways are on the Swiss side way more comfortable and modern.

Yes. Not only the cabins and gondolas but the restaurants as well.

Frans wrote:

Cervinia or Valtournenche are way cheaper for stay and skipass, compared to Zermatt, even if you have the international skipass.

Definitely.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Zermatt is far better for skiing in my opinion than Cervinia

Having been to both I’d say this is strongly dependent on how good a skier you are, and how much value you attach to “non ski activities”. The latter is obviously way better in Zermatt

Emir is a much better skier than I am so I would especially say Cervinia is much better than Zermatt

So if doing a fly to ski, it heavily depends on who is coming. Over the years – look at this thread all the way back – there is a fair bit of talk the talk but not quite walk the walk And it isn’t easy – you need the time slot, the flying wx, the skiing wx, the accommodation, the snow conditions, to all line up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“Swiss” and “budget” and “skiing” are mutually incompatible

For this you have to take the train from Wherever to Milano to Colico, then join the ‘help’ on their Swiss Postbus commute to St. Moritz, where you stay in with a friend in a third parties vacation apartment. BTDT, and it was not expensive

The food and lift tickets are still individually expensive, notwithstanding the Coop shop across the street in my case, but I doubt the runs will these days be covered by too many people, in particular not those with expensive jackets with ‘Russia’ emblazoned on the back, in very large letters, as was the fashion when I was last there.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Mar 15:10

@Frans

Will_c wrote:
and parking was 4 CHF per day plus VAT.
Are you sure? I paid 6 CHF per night last time for parking, and that price is also mentioned on their homepage.

I landed on Friday and departed on Sunday. They didn’t break the cost into a daily rate so it could have been two days parking ie 6 CHF per day as it was less than 48 hours.

Emir wrote:

I didn’t find that although I must admin I didn’t ski on all Zermatt slopes, unlike Cervinia where I have skied every meter of the slopes.
Zermatt is quite larger than Cervinia. Did you ski up to the Rothorn or Hirlilift? Especially the slopes on the main glacier are not so exiting (very flat), but then, Zermatt has a lot of nice red/black runs, very divers, where Cervinia has more or less a lot of “the same”.

Not bashing Cervinia btw, I do like the ski area in total (Zermatt/Cervinia/Valtournenche) a lot, and I should know all pistes in the entire area by heart by now. Nonetheless, the “spirit” of Zermatt is totally different from Cervinia. When skiing down in Italy, I prefer the look and feel of Valtournenche. It feels way more like a nice cosy place, compared to the industry looks of Cervinia, including some ruins of old unused lifts. My Swiss girlfriend of course says that Cervinia is terrible.

Peter wrote:
Having been to both I’d say this is strongly dependent on how good a skier you are
Absolutely true, the slopes in Cervinia are way more friendly for beginners and intermediate skiers, compared to the more challenging slopes on the Zermatt side. Especially parts of the valley runs down to Zermatt are black, when coming from Italy, or dark-red (coming down from Gornergrat or Rothorn).

Next time you visit Aosta, definitely try La Thuile, as said before. It is a nice village and the ski area with the French part in La Rosière is just awesome!
Last Edited by Frans at 10 Mar 11:14
Switzerland

I skied the run back to the town of Valtournenche and it was horrible. It was typical of most “runs back to town” which are not pistes but improvised paths and such. Narrow, steep in places and trashed by people scraping off the snow. So, the hotels can claim “ski all the way to the hotel”

Next time you visit Aosta, definitely try La Thuile

The feedback I got was that the slopes are similar level to Cervinia so I will definitely try it; many thanks.

I have to accept that at 60+ I will never get “really good” so have to to go places which are in the “right range”.

Administrator

I have not seen any proper snow since the covid situation began.

This weekend, I’m considering changing that. Since I’ve been to Zell am See a couple of times and I know it quite well, this time I would like to try neighboring St. Johann (LOIJ) instead – arriving Saturday ca. 11:30Z, leaving Sunday ca. 14:00Z.

If anyone is around, let me know! I’ll probably be alone (pending some friends I asked if they want to hop along).

Couple of question marks to be sorted out tomorrow if the trip can happen, but pretty optimistic.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I wouldn‘t bet on any more fly and ski trips happening this season. This is Saalbach-Hinterglemm. While skiable, there is actually very little snow. And none forecast for the next week.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You need to be high up. This is Cervinia

but the temps are forecast to rise end of March…

Administrator

Thinking ahead… anyone up for a fly to ski to Aosta LIMW, starting December?

A super friendly and easy airport. Cervinia is a ~€100 taxi and is great so long as you are not looking for 89 degree black runs

Administrator
Sign in to add your message