Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CPL/IR ("frozen ATPL") and Integrated versus Modular (DIY)

Sure; as this thread shows, right now you have little chance, as a male, of getting into Easyjet via Modular. For EJ you need to be the “right product from the right sausage machine”, etc.

I am sure I would be totally unemployable in any “on-corporate-message” company, anyway

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

They tend to concentrate more on the commercial aspects

I was talking to a recently-qualified UK FI in 2012 about his CPL checkride. That day was marginal weather, and as soon as the cloudbase and/or visibility was legal they had to depart. He said, as it was ‘commercial’, cancelling or postponing the flight due to weather was a fail. No idea if this is true, but he definitely thought so.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I don’t think there’s any reason at all to have an FAA ATP unless you want to do serious commercial flying – Part 121 stuff. iirc an ATP is needed for larger aircraft (for some value of larger) for Part 135 also.

For all the other stuff (ferrying, crop spraying, small Part 135) a CPL/IR is fine. I may be wrong, but I thought a TR was independent of CPL/ATP – didn’t some famous person fly their 707 on a PPL?

My primary instructor had an ATP-ASEL – he thought back in the 1970s that it would help him get an airline job. It didn’t. I think it still exists, even if you do need 50 hrs of ME time to get it. But not sure what use it would be. Maybe flying an An-2 for a Part 121 outfit?

My acro instructor has an ATP-AMES. There aren’t many of those about – he’ll be all set when the Pan Am Clippers come back into fashion. The story goes that he was doing an AMES (so he could fly an Albatross that he was hanagaring) and the examiner said, hey, you’ve already got an ATP, let’s make it an ATP checkride. So he put the foggles on and did a couple of approaches and bingo, ATP-AMES.

Last Edited by johnh at 12 Oct 08:44
LFMD, France

I don’t think there’s any reason at all to have an FAA ATP

In Europe, yeah, completely useless. There used to be interesting routes e.g. the Irish CAA converting an FAA ATP into a JAA ATPL with just some paperwork; JAA killed it after a short while… plus routes for ATPs with > 2500hrs in a Part 25 aircraft, etc

I am no authority on this but AIUI you need an ATP/ATPL to be LHS in any jet used for charter or scheduled.

For “corporate work” where just the owner or his family is being transported, this is a “private flight” and then a CPL/IR is all that’s needed. Most clients demand 2 pilots and then 2 × CPL/IR is fine. On multi pilot jets (Lear etc) both seats must be occupied and then 2 × CPL/IR is also enough.

If I was into more masochism, I could today do an FAA SE ATP fairly easily (the link above applies only to the FAA ME ATP) which would work for e.g. a PC12 / TBM type operation (in the US; getting a Euro ATPL is a whole new ballgame because there is no “course”; you are “given” it after 500hrs RHS in a Part 25 aircraft, and the 13 exams of course…), but at 66 I am too old for that anyway

I don’t know if cargo ops differ from passenger ops in the pilot papers requirements, if the aircraft is Part 25.

@snoopy will know the details.

and as soon as the cloudbase and/or visibility was legal they had to depart

Probably true. But the CPL stuff is VFR, so nothing too hard since you prob99 have done the IR beforehand so should be a “very good VFR pilot”

Administrator

“That day was marginal weather, and as soon as the cloudbase and/or visibility was legal they had to depart. He said, as it was ‘commercial’, cancelling or postponing the flight due to weather was a fail. ”

That is the sort of thing that the CPL training and exam is all about. Making decisions under commercial pressures.
Eg you are on a job, suffer a technical problem at a location decided during the flight. What do you do? Eg a) land at nearest airfield, b)divert to a larger airport with facilities, c)return to home base. In CPL training you are not just thinking for yourself but also bearing in mind what your employer and customers would expect as well as maintaining safety of people on board and the aircraft.
The actual flying is the easy part. By the time you get to CPL your airmanship should be good enough already.

France

That is all within a PPL holder’s capability however – unless one accepts that a PPL is just a way of extracting 15k from somebody (which is basically true; you are only as good as the additional info you picked up from other pilots).

On my 170A “IR pre-test test” (a notorious UK FTO £1k extraction procedure) I was told that filing EGHI (Southampton) as an alternate for EGHH (Bournemouth) was better than filing EGMD (Lydd). My protest that EGHI wx will be exactly identical to EGHH’s was wasted; the twat insisted that my “commercial passengers” are not interested in landing at Lydd which is a dump with poor transport options. The examiner was previously described as mad as a hatter but he owned the FTO at which I was doing the FAA IR to JAA IR conversion. So I failed the 170A, for a totally bogus reason, because you can prob99 guarantee that if you go around at EGHH you will also go around at EGHI also and then you pointlessly burnt off a ton of juice and then you have to go to EGKB (Biggin) or EGMD (Lydd) anyway, unless you are totally out of options and then you have to do a zero-zero landing at EGKK (Gatwick) and a likely career termination for totally crap decisionmaking.

Administrator

Emir wrote:

Getting a ‘job’ at small cargo company.

Adventure! I love it and I feel a little less weird myself

LPFR, Poland

Peter wrote:

For EJ you need to be the “right product from the right sausage machine”, etc.

Right now I’m doing UPRT with EJ captain who described it just like that and told me how desperate flying skills these products have, the majority not being capable to land the aircraft for quite long time.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

For EASA CAT AOC you need a CPL to be PIC in a single pilot airplane while the rating will be XYZ JET MPO (multi pilot operation). For NCC the rating can also be SPO (single pilot operation).

To be PIC in a multi pilot airplane you need an ATPL, irrespective of the operation (NCC, CAT AOC).

always learning
LO__, Austria

The thing is that not every CPL or ATPL qualified pilot is employable. That is a totally different filter.

Bingo. It’s a gigantic dream selling machine. Profit first. “Customers” can’t fail, or else revenue is lost.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message