Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does a 61.75 FAA PPL need a BFR

Rwy20 wrote:

So you cross-checked with other forums just to make sure people here aren’t talking sh*it… good to know it isn’t the case.

Posted also on another forum but also phoned one FAA CFI and spoke to another one (who is a colleague).

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

There is some precedent for this.

In France, it was all over the media for years that busting the nuclear zits was a 10k fine or confiscation. Somebody here then found the actual law which IIRC didn’t mention confiscation but it was a recent amendment. So maybe such a penalty does exist in France.

In the UK, there was a TBM which landed over the top of a regional TP (or something like that) and even though nothing happened, the airport went crazy and blockaded the plane so it could not be flown. Possibly no legal basis but if someone parks a vehicle in front of your plane, are you going to beat them up? Especially in France where they are likely armed.

Most airport police officers are clueless. Anything is possible. How fast are you going to get a lawyer who has the right connections?

BTW under ICAO each country has a right to enforce stuff against foreign regs. There are some subtle differences but nothing relevant.

Also GA is full of rumours about what happened to someone and most of them are untrue.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Also GA is full of rumours about what happened to someone and most of them are untrue.

So true. And they are often willfully spread by people who have an agenda or vetted interest. In other words to make harm.

LFPT, LFPN

However, would you bet money that this (confiscation) never happened, in a particular country?

I don’t think so!

There are police who crudely overstep their rights, and nothing can be done. Also there is a gradual move, in the UK anyway, to impose penalties like that.

Administrator

Still wondering about that guy above. Registered, made his first post saying he flew for “30 years” and left a wrong statement about US licenses behind.

I mean… wouldn’t you make your first post (if it’s not under “presentations”) about something you are somewhat firm in?…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

He registered a long time ago, but not posted till now. Very common.

Administrator

Hello,
I jump into this threads to add some elements if it is still necessary.
There is 2 different cases:
1/ You fly on a N registered aircraft that is based in your home country and you do it on the basis of the license delivered by your National Aviation Authority (NAA):

• The validity of your license depends on the rules defined by your NAA (license + medical + recency of experience).
  • You are limited to exerce your privileges within the boundaries of your country.
    As long as you are “national” license is valid, you are good to go.
    2/ You fly on a US registered aircraft with a US license issued on the basis on your “national” license:
  • The validity of your US license is determined by the validity of your “national” license – You have to maintain valid your national license to exercise privileges of your US license.
  • If you have the same privileges on both license, you may not have to do the flight review CFR 14 – PART 61.56 (Biannual Flight Review does not exist anymore and is called Flight Review Part 61.56). However, I strongly encourage you to do so. It is an important meeting to review legal and safety issues (attached to the country of registry of the aircraft) with as authorized flight instructor. It is safety wise.
  • If you have more privileges on your US license than you hold on your national license (for instance, you have a EU PPL and a US PPL + Instrument rating), In this case, you have to comply with the requirements contained in Part 61.(b)(1) – Means you exercise the privileges of a rating issues under part 61 – instrument rating – you have to comply with part 61 (and Part 91) :
    “b) Currency. No person may:
    (1) Exercise privileges of an airman certificate, rating, endorsement, or authorization issued under this part unless that person meets the appropriate airman and medical recency requirements of this part, specific to the operation or activity.”
    As a conclusion if you are flying under IFR in a N aircraft with a US license issued on the basis of a “national” license – you should have:
  • Both license valid (including medical),
  • flight review within the last 24 calendar months,
  • 3 take-off and landing within the last 90 days (at night should be full stop landings) if you carry passenger (61.57),
  • Under IFR : within the last 6 months, 6 instrument approaches, 1 track interception and 1 holding procedure. I have seen several pilots who forgot the requirements about the hold and exercised privileges of a US IR illegally. This is a point on which pilots should exercise extreme care. Of course, you should have logged evidence to demonstrate your recency of experience (61.57).
    If I may share an observation about flying IFR with N registered aircraft, I have observed aircraft that were not airworthy and flew anyway by lack of understanding of US rules (lack of VOR check or worst lack of the required inspection contained in 91.411 and 91.413 or GPS database not updated).
    The sanction may be 10 time worst than being grounded in case of incident, lose the benefit of your insurance policy.
    I wish this may help.
    Have a safe flight ;-)
Jay CFI
France

Where did you find the basis for “If you have the same privileges on both license, you may not have to do the flight review…” in the FARs?

I found a letter from AOPA confirming your statement, but unfortunately not in the FARs ..
And this is not written very clearly and might as well mean flying in the country where your license has been issued.

Last Edited by Sir_Percy at 16 Apr 14:38

If you exercise the privileges of an FAA license, regardless of what basis it was issued on, you need a valid flight review as per 14CFR §61.56

§61 3 does however say
(v) When operating an aircraft within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used.

In that case you may not have an FAA license, and therefore no BFR required. But that is the only case (except if you have passed an FAA skill test in lieu of BFR within the preceding 24 months)

LFPT, LFPN

That’ s what my understanding was before I read Jay-CFIs comment …

Sign in to add your message