Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums

FAA 61.75 piggyback + FAA IR (and whether a Type Rating can be added to a 61.75)

I have an EASA PPL and an FAA piggyback. Now I want to take the american IR rating without the EASA IR because I am flying a N registered plane. Can I do this based on the piggyback certificate or do I have first to get a FAA private pilot certificate not dependant on the EASA one ?

LIAP / LIBP, Italy

Yes you can add FAA IR to FAA61.75, it’s a certificate after all and it can have it’s own ratings irrespective of the EASA PPL ratings…you can add many ratings to it like: G, IR, SEL, MEL, SF50 TR, C90 TR, B747 TR with “US test passed”

I don’t see the logic as you would need EASA IR to fly N-reg IFR in your country?

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Jan 09:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Better ask a lawyer but I think you will need an EASA IR for two reasons. First the piggyback can not exceed your EASA privileges. There is some discussion about border line questions like class ratings which do not exist in FAA land but I fear for the IR you need EASA IR to get the piggyback IR.
Second as an Italian resident you will need a valid EASA license with all the ratings to fly IFR in Europe. There is this “derogation” thing in some countries but more and more stop doing it so for the futue you will need the EASA license and IR.

So the way to go is to do the EASA IR, then get it FAA approved. To get the IR into the piggyback license you will have to do a theoretical test in the US. So you will have to travel there. The rest apparently can be done from Europe.

First the piggyback can not exceed your EASA privileges

It does, at least in US, I could rent & fly N-reg with an expired SEP in my EASA PPL, the CFI & DPE running the shop were dead sure that I was 100% legal and insured

Most lawyers, who seems well versed on the laws, think it does (night rating, turbine rating, multi rating, multi turbine rating, addition of jets type ratings, addition of instrument rating)

Most pilots think it’s house of cards, as it’s seems too generous to be true, I tend to agree on this and it’s better to get a standalone FAA PPL/CPL

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Jan 10:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You can have a standalone FAA IR on

  • a 61.75 FAA PPL (needs EASA (or UK, or whatever national) medical only)
  • standalone FAA PPL (needs FAA medical)
  • standalone FAA CPL (needs FAA medical)

A “foreign pilot exam” FAA IR can be added only to a 61.75 piggyback PPL, not to a standalone PPL or CPL.

Latest derogation table is here and Italy has derogated so no need for an EASA IR currently.

Please keep this on topic

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

First the piggyback can not exceed your EASA privileges

Isn’t it that only the EASA license needs to be valid, not the ratings?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes. It is actually quite logical.

For the FAA 61.75 ASEL (aircraft single engine land) to be “current”, you need have a valid BFR. So they don’t care if you have kept the EASA SEP rating valid or not, they have their own rules. You are also subject to the FAA 90 day rules, which are subtly different from the EASA rules.

The same applies to the “Foreign IR” which can be added – you are subject to the FAA rolling currency / IPC requirements, so the FAA don’t care whether you meet the EASA IR currency requirements.

The same for turboprops – they have issued you an ASEL based on your foreign licence which they consider equivalent to their own FAA ASEL, so you have an FAA certificate with ASEL and can exercise ALL its privileges, as long as you meet the FAA requirements (for example, a high altitude endorsement where required).

The only thing that is a bit strange is that they issue an ASEL certificate (which includes night privileges) regardless of you having a “night rating” / “night qualification” in the foreign licence.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

The only thing that is a bit strange is that they issue an ASEL certificate (which includes night privileges) regardless of you having a “night rating” / “night qualification” in the foreign licence.

It’s really not that strange. You still have to fulfil FAA requirements for night VFR before flying at night on a piggyback license.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Other than the three night takeoffs and landings within the preceding 90 days to carry passengers, what would those be? I don’t think the requirements for licence issue need to be met.

Biggin Hill

Yes. It is actually quite logical

Of course, once FAA61.75 is issued it’s logical that you are flying on your FAA papers not EASA papers, you comply with FAA rules !

Most pilots confuse FAA61.75 with ICAO validation to fly in one country airspace with restricted privileges: it’s not FAA61.75 has worldwide ICAO privileges (and could carry additional privileges as long as they are not explicitly restricted on underlying licence), although many NAA think you are/should be flying on your EASA as well, two licences to fly the same aircraft and people need to hold dual papers soon…

If you want lot of fun, how about this: how come you could fly on FAA61.75 based on EASA PPL using FAA medical without holding an EASA medical?

In any case, as Peter said there is a specific exam to add FAA IR to FAA61.75, it’s called “instrument foreign pilot exam”, like it or not (logical or not), the route to add an FAA IR to FAA61.75 is still “open & legal”

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Jan 13:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
60 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top