Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does a 61.75 FAA PPL need a BFR

quatrelle wrote:

If you have a UK or EASA licence issued after 17 September 2012

does this mean in a UK CAA easa licence the date in pos II or pos X?

thanks

being non UK based this sounds like fun and costs to me !!!!!!

fly2000

quatrelle wrote:

f you have a UK or EASA licence issued after 17 September 2012 with an FAA Certificate allowing flight in the US, you must have that Certificate re-issued by the FAA by October 2018 in order to retain its validity.

I don’t get the logic for “after 17 Sep 2012”.

Should it not be before? I must refresh my 61.75 license if it has pre-EASA license number printed on the back which i guess was done before 17 Sep 2012?

Last Edited by Jonas at 29 Sep 15:28
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

I just got this from SAC, my N-reg trustee

I will ask whether the permission requirement for oneself being trained in one’s plane is still there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

if you have a UK or EASA licence issued after 17 September 2012 with an ‘FAA Certificate’ allowing flight in the US, you must have that Certificate reissued by the FAA by October 2018 in order to retain its validity

This must be some error in translation. My latest issue of my French PPL is from one month ago, and my 61.75 is from one year ago. I just compared the licence number under “valid only if accompanied by France pilot license number(s) FRA.FCL.PAxxxxxx”, and they are identical. I don’t see any need for any action.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 03 Oct 15:32

Peter wrote:

[snip]
Aerial Work
Again, we are sure that any of our clients that this applies to will already have the necessary permissions, but please be aware that – in the UK at least – if you are carrying out aerial work (flight instruction, crop spraying or aerial photography, for example) in an N-registered aircraft you will need specific permission from the UK CAA. They usually grant this permission quite readily. If you are outside the UK, you may wish to speak to your Department for Transport or Aviation Authority, who will be able to provide you with detail on any guidelines that apply.
[snip]

As regards flight instruction SAC’s advice is out of date. See here.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

There is likely to be a difference between you getting your IR reval or a BFR with an FAA CFII/CFI in your (or a syndicated; there have in the past been various regs on this e.g. max 4 owners, and other rules if they are Directors) plane, and a school using an N-reg for normal training.

If the latter was allowed, the whole UK school scene would go N-reg

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But that seems to be exactly what CAP 1414 envisages for the next ANO revision.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Isn’t this yesterday’s news? Hasn’t the license renumbering been discussesd here on numerous occasions?

I had my 61.75 re-issued for that reason in early 2015 when I suddenly realised that my license number changed a few years prior without me noticing.

LFPT, LFPN

Hi,

I am quietly but quickly discovering the world of N-reg flying in Europe.

I have helped one of my aviation English students organise a meeting with an FAA examiner to complete the sign off for his 61.75 “Piggyback” licence and he now has the provisional piece of paper issued after the meeting.

According to the examiner, and according to my own interpretation of what I have read online, he must now complete a “Biannual Flight Review” with an FAA instructor in order to operate his N-reg aircraft outside French airspace.

However (and this is what sparked this thread) I called one of my other former students to ask who he did his BFR with, and the response was “I didn’t, it’s not necessary”. I got the same response from a couple of other French pilots flying with 61.75’s based on their French EASA PPLs.

The questions I have are therefore the following:

1. Is the BFR necessary?
2. Does the FAA instructor also need an EASA FI qualification to charge for instruction carried out in France?

Any advice much appreciated :-)

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

Hi Jim,

I’m not an instructor, but I fly N reg, G reg and F reg in France and the UK, and have done so for the last 30 years. I hold full FAA and EASA licenses, FAA CPL/IR and EASA (UK issued) PPL/IMC.

As I understand things, I am legal to fly N reg within the UK, within France, and anywhere else in Europe on my EASA license alone. However, if I wish to fly between say France and the UK in an N reg aircraft I must fly on my FAA license, as this would be an international flight and there is no FAA/EASA bilateral agreement yet in place. So, I would need a valid BFR, valid FCC radio operators’ permit, valid FAA medical, and currency in class and category if I were carrying passengers. You would need the same with a 61.75 “piggyback” to fly between the countries, or indeed outside any European country even if that country permitted use of EASA on N reg within its national airspace.

The radio permit is described here: http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=rl

I’m afraid I can’t help on your charging question.

Best regards.

Stephen Whittaker
LFPN, LFBH, France
Sign in to add your message