Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

C210 for sale - too good to be true?

boscomantico wrote:

The seller is the outfit I rent aircraft from. Anyone who is really interested should just contact Alex. A good guy. And not just a broker in this case.

This in itself is a positive point! Thx for sharing.

I am also not familiar with this ADI system but for someone with MOGAS available at his base it may make a huge change.

It sounds like a lot of capability and avionics for very little money and, on paper, in reasonable condition (as in “it won’t turn into a money-pit before you can use it reliably”). In order to realize that, as indicated above, you need a proper 210-knowledgeable inspector to look at it.
Things to be mindful of:

-This is the first and thus oldest and cheapest of the 210 versions with true six-seat capability (as opposed to 4+2)
-For an IFR-capable machine there are two (+1) shortcomings: no deicing and no ADSB-Out . The former just impacts the way you plan your flights and dispatchability, but is rare for a 210. The latter is not critical outside the US. If an issue you can replace the GTX 330 xpdr with a GTX335 or 345 or equivalent.
-Also for IFR I am missing a stby alternator (retrofittable for about 4AMUs but verify if applicable) since all AI’s are electric.
-It does not list aux fuel but one of the pics may be showing an aux fuel tank refuelling port on the RH side of the baggage compartment. Standard fuel of 89 USG usable (only 1 USG unusable) already provides a huge range of 900nm+reserves LOP anyway. It could also be the ADI water-methanol tank instead.
-It has had the gear doors removal STC implemented. This may be good or bad depending on how you look at it: simplified maintenance, barely noticeable performance loss (offset by the absence of deice boots) , some change in the looks.
- The interior is missing TLC, from the pics I would rate it a 5, not a 7.
- I believe this is the last year-model the 210 was offered with 12V (vs 24V) electrical system. However, with modern avionics and no deicing this should not be a problem.
-Some of the K models came out with 3400lbs MTOW, some with 3800lbs, it is worth verifying this if you are interested in the huge 1600lbs useful load.
-The gear system is the old-style, engine-driven pump system vs the latter electro-hydraulic. Not all shops know how to deal with the former, this in itself means this airplane is cheaper than the latter ‘L’ models. If your shop has hydraulic mule capability then this does not have to be a problem.
-You should be able to cruise LOP at around 160 KTAS on 12GPH

Last Edited by Antonio at 16 Feb 16:09
Antonio
LESB, Spain

POH for a similar C210K airplane

C210K_Handbook_N777WL_s_pdf

Last Edited by Antonio at 16 Feb 16:08
Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Antonio I like the marketing touch, the POH shows 160KTAS at 9,000 feet 70% and sipping 15 USGPH :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

marketing touch

Cessna POH’s of the era, in my experience, are very reliable performance-wise.

On an aircraft with deice boots, no gear doors and a radar pod, maybe optimistic by 5KTAS, but otherwise achievable. In this case I would say achievable after proper rigging. This particular example is a very clean airframe.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

It does not list aux fuel but one of the pics may be showing an aux fuel tank refuelling port on the RH side of the baggage compartment.

Not sure what this is:

OH Fuel System & Actuator

One more thing I’ve noticed: The add does not mention the Cessna SID? So is that something which is not applicable because it’s N-reg or how would that impact the value?

Generally I think if this plane is as airworthy and up to date in the rest of maintenance as it is in Avionic, it may be a real bargain for someone who wants to go in that direction. I have to say, if I was in the market I’d be sorely tempted to have a good look at it.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 16 Feb 19:31
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The add does not mention the Cessna SID?

Legally not so relevant, but a good pre-buy should cover that too. This aircraft has had the ceiling, the main fuselage frames, the landing gear incl structure and attachments, the belly and one wing opened up not that long ago so big parts of the SID’s were automatically done…if the work was done and documented right. So the key is whether it was the case. Still the way this compliance is achieved may affect its market value.

So it depends what you are looking for:

-Compliance beyond minimum legal rqts?
-Resale value?, or
-A capable, safe airplane for your personal flying for years to come?

Either way you need some good knowledge on your side to get into something like this

Last Edited by Antonio at 16 Feb 20:04
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Either way you need some good knowledge on your side to get into something like this

Absolutely.

The question was rather why they would not mention it, as just about every Cessna add where it’s been done does. As you say, the importance of it may well vary. Then again, this airplane had it’s wingspar replaced, so I guess that happened for a reason and if you go that far, you won’t leave behind the rest.

From far away and purely speculating, this may well look like an upgrade which went financially out of hand. Some enterprising buyer might well profit from it now.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Several of us who have used mogas for many years on O200s are now using avgas because of the alcohol added, so mogas approval
may not be valuable.
When sitting unused the alcohol may/does absorb water.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

This is an amazing price for a 210 and unless there’s something very wrong with it a downright bargain. C210s are the most capable SEPs by far and normally go for significantly more $$$.

The wing spar AD is prob99 irrelevant here, as the spar was replaced. The engine-driven gear pump is an issue, but OTOH getting the gear down manually isn’t such a big deal in a 210.

I really wonder why they’re selling this bird for that price, AFAIK the wing spar replacement alone runs to about $ 70-80k.

Last Edited by 172driver at 17 Feb 01:44

I’d love to know where you can buy this Ethanol Free Mogas to use the STC! There are places in the world where you can buy Auto Fuel for €0.02 per litre (Venezuela) and just €0.33 per litre in Egypt. Maybe over there it’s ethanol free. Saving the environment is only a matter for relatively rich countries.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
Sign in to add your message