Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

C210 for sale - too good to be true?

An estimated third of German GA airfields (i.e. excluding the big airports) has a pump for mogas. In most cases, the operator takes care that it is ethanol free. So, it is quite available. Just some due diligence required. Some places in NL, CH, AT, CZ and IT also sell mogas. but in the later cases, it is mostly intended for Rotaxes, so not necessarily RON 98, but RON 95, and therefore not necessarily ethanol-free.

So, let’s say you have that 210 based at an airport that sells proper RON98, ethanol-free mogas. Let’s assume that you get 80% of your fuel there, and the rest is 100LL taken elsewhere. Price difference is 0.60€ per litre. At 50 litres an hour. That translates to roughly 25€ per hour savings. Not huge, but a nice thing. Apart from cleaner combustion, being more independent from 100LL, etc.

But yes, there are corners in Europe where this fuel is essentially unavailable.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

WilliamF wrote:

I’d love to know where you can buy this Ethanol Free Mogas to use the STC!

Some airfields in the USA have ethanol free mogas (or at least they used to).

Mogas in the Isle of Man remains ethanol free. Ethanol doesn’t do much towards saving the environment, given its tragically low EROEI (energy returned on energy invested) the way most bioethanol is being produced today.

Andreas IOM

@WilliamF , if you go to the site the classic Petersen Autofuel STC and select IO-520 you will be directed to the website which has this STC. At least time last time I checked.

But I would like to know the price of the methanol mixture and the complexity of the STC. Would be nice to hear from pilots with experience of using this system.

Another problem with MOGAS would be the issue of its durability, it does not maintain its quality nearly as good as AVGAS. You should fly often to avoid having it sitting in the fuel system for longer periods.

ESSZ, Sweden

We’ve done the what is mogas thing before.

I suspect, many years ago, “mogas” was what in the UK was called 5-star car petrol, which was very similar to today’s 100LL avgas but with less QA. Today, I don’t think such a product exists in the retail market; what we get is unleaded petrol with all kinds of crap like ethanol in it.

The “autofuel” STCs go back decades ago, to days when decent car petrol was available.

Also, good luck filling up a C210 from jerrycans

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fly310 wrote:

But I would like to know the price of the methanol mixture and the complexity of the STC. Would be nice to hear from pilots with experience of using this system.

As I said, no experience, therefore no idea. But keep in mind that the ADI/Inpulse system is activated only when MAP is above 25 inches or when CHT is above 400 degrees. So in practice, it should only be a few minutes per flight where that fluid is consumed.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

alioth wrote:

Ethanol doesn’t do much towards saving the environment, given its tragically low EROEI (energy returned on energy invested)

Wrong! Sorry about the thread drift.

In the USA alone, the tragic corn production usage shift from food to fuel and the attendant increase in corn price has brought a higher number of deaths by famine in the third world.

Those deaths alone are a great benefit for the environment since the best thing you can do as a human to lower human-produced CO2 is dying, second only to not having kids.

I remember my friends going to Cuba years ago and sending pictures of stickers on Cuban cars depicting an American feeding corn into the open bonnet of his car, as if it was the craziest thing you could do with food! As if they would know…

In short, ethanol-based fuel kills people and hence is good for the environment.

Last Edited by Antonio at 17 Feb 16:26
Antonio
LESB, Spain

ethanol-based fuel

It’s called “green (bio) plants based fuel” not to be confused with “fossil dinosaurs (meat & plant) based fuel” it’s funny how you can brand and polish stuff…

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Feb 17:15
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Antonio wrote:

Those deaths alone are a great benefit for the environment since the best thing you can do as a human to lower human-produced CO2 is dying, second only to not having kids.

Absolutely agree on you thread drift @Antonio.

Another benefit of folks dying, or not seeing the light of day in the first place, is the slowing down of new or more restrictive rules and regulations implementation due to the increase in population density.
I’ll try to think about that when time comes

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

One more thing I’ve noticed: The add does not mention the Cessna SID?

I guess because legally there cannot be a Cessna out without some kind of SID labour done to cover legal basics. Only difference would be whether it got only minimum inspection 1to5/6 or full inspection and even if only minimum, upgrading is no big deal – if you really want to.

These old C210 are nice flying and travelling machines, but need rather expensive maintenance and a shop knowing these birds. My2cents, makes sense when flying frequently on longer distances, but people doing that – tend to go turbine nowadays. Resell value? Questionable, I’d say – has to be cheap to sell.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 17 Feb 18:05
Germany

Dan wrote:

when time comes

Don’t be in a hurry!

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message