Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AIR BP refueling - big charges from 1st Jan 2021

Peter wrote:

For sure, some people do write that such and such is ok because in my country it is ok so it must be ok for all, and yes GA tends to be pretty well totally nationalistic in certain countries, but that’s not the same thing.

Unfortunately that’s very hard to change. However, on this particular topic it’s strange that one company (I guess it’s one company across Europe) has very different policies in different countries and sometimes at different airports trying to take the advantage on monopolistic position.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

The comment

tell me if you still “don’t know”.

suggests that the other person is pretending to not know.

I think you’re being a bit too sensitive here, @Peter. We all type perhaps a bit fast and the subtle interpretation that might be made isn’t necessarily what was meant….

LSZK, Switzerland

Emir wrote:

However, on this particular topic it’s strange that one company (I guess it’s one company across Europe) has very different policies in different countries and sometimes at different airports trying to take the advantage on monopolistic position.

That’s what I meant by all the philosophizing we can do about why there are no self-serve stations in the UK or Switzerland …… who knows what internal commercial interests are behind such “anomalies”?

LSZK, Switzerland

The newsletter I got clearly says minimum uplift fee don’t apply to self-serve.

ELLX

Wow! Perhaps I’ll sell my plane after all when I return to Europe.

I’ve recently been getting my tailwheel currency up to scratch. We fly a Citabria which takes 36 gallons full, but we fly with half tanks for W&B (enough for 3 hours of flight!). So typically we add 10-12 gallons at a time, The fuel truck happily comes by and takes care of it, and charges ~$5/gallon. Period. No hookup fee, no minimum uptake. Supposing avgas is $1.80 / litre – $6.30 / gallon – all that BS would turn $63 for 10 gallons into $100.

I don’t see how anybody can fly anything smaller than a 182-size plane under these conditions…?

LFMD, France

I’m based at LSZH and this is what I received:
https://www.bp.com/en/global/air-bp/customers/fees/fees-switzerland.html
I am not thrilled about this, to say the least. It looks like Air BP are sticking up their middle finger to GA.

Hang on, in LSZH the fuel is delivered by Jet Aviation. What does BP have to do with this? Are they the supplyer of Jet Aviation?

If that is the case, then refuelling at ZRH is going to be a massive problem, also for MFGZ who actually run their own fuel truck if I am not mistaken. Or does this have to do with the way you pay, eg it applies primarily to those who pay with a BP card?

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 03 Dec 03:27
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

johnh wrote:

Supposing avgas is $1.80 / litre – $6.30 / gallon – all that BS would turn $63 for 10 gallons into $100.

It’s not quite so much as a percentage when you understand that the base fuel price will more likely be the equivalent of $95 versus $63. Then with unchanged extra costs the total is $132 for 10 gallons.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Dec 03:33

Then with unchanged extra costs the total is $132 for 10 gallons

Thanks a bunch, you really know how to make someone feel better…

But in fact the cost of the “minimum uptake” is directly related to the cost of the fuel, so even your attempt to sweeten the pill doesn’t really do it :-(

LFMD, France

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Hang on, in LSZH the fuel is delivered by Jet Aviation. What does BP have to do with this? Are they the supplyer of Jet Aviation?

If that is the case, then refuelling at ZRH is going to be a massive problem, also for MFGZ who actually run their own fuel truck if I am not mistaken. Or does this have to do with the way you pay, eg it applies primarily to those who pay with a BP card?

My understanding is that these fees only apply when BP deliver the fuel. If they don’t, then whoever deliver decides on the fees.

E.g. AndersB wrote that BP supplies AVGAS to ESMS. But they’re not delivering the fuel – Malmö Fueling Services is – and ESMS is also not on the BP fees list for Sweden. So my understanding is that the outrageous hookup fee at ESMS is not charged by BP – it is charged by Malmö Fueling Services.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Dec 07:10
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I sent this email:

Does this mean that you pay £50 if you buy less than 60 litres of avgas, or you pay £50 anyway?
Also does it matter whether you use the AIR BP card or a normal credit card?

and got this reply:

Correct – if you purchase less then 60 litres of Avgas at any one uplift then a small uplift fee of £50 will apply.
If you pay by credit card instead of using your SC then an overwing fee applies for AVGAS uplifts.

60 litres is a pretty small uplift – perhaps affecting mostly ultralights.

I can’t find the over-wing fee anywhere, and none of the UK airports listed are listing one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message