Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zero-zero takeoff (also low visibility takeoff)

I said that the removal of the requirement for an approval will be proposed in an NPA. That’s several steps removed from the rule being changed.

This is for the time being only a theory question. But what is actually the state of visibility requirements? I thought I learned 400 meters minimum VIS but I have read yesterday in a good theory book that it was actually zero-zero now. Is that true? There was no source given.

Am just preparing for my exam. So no risk involved 😉

Last Edited by UdoR at 04 Feb 17:40
Germany

Was that an FAA book? Anyway, 400m is lowest for IFr departures by EASA rules, for “normal” GA pilots.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico no, it’s the „IFR-Praxis“ of Marco del Nero, on page 172 he states there was no limit actually and an RVR of 0 meters was legally allowed. Obviously he doesn’t recommend it, but he states that 400 meters was only required for commercial flights according to Eu-Reg. 965/2012, Annex IV, AMC1 CAT.OP.MPA.110, letter c, item 3.

Germany

Found it in NCO.OP.110 and in the latest revision it is up to the pilot to decide on visibility for takeoff

AOPA Germany has a recent article about it that says the same: visibility on takeoff is on pilots discretion.
Link in German

Where are the 400 meters defined?

Germany

It is defined in Part-SPA which AFAIK applies to all operators.

Last Edited by wbardorf at 05 Feb 04:11
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

wbardorf wrote:

This is really an example of poor regulation writing. Of course the situations where special approvals are needed should be stated in the normal regulations like part-NCO. You should not need to read part-SPA unless you actually have (or want to apply for) a special approval.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

UdoR wrote:

it’s the „IFR-Praxis“ of Marco del Nero, on page 172 he states there was no limit actually and an RVR of 0 meters was legally allowed

Can you post a photo of that paragraph? Would be remarkable to have such a bad mistake in a didactic IFR book.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Zero-zero departure was legal in Europe in an N-reg, Part 91, until something like 10 years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

wbardorf wrote:

I’m pretty sure that Part-SPA doesn’t apply to all operators. It’s relevant only to Operations requiring Specific Approvals as its name says, and operators have to obtain the approval from the relevant authorities.

Related low visibility, those are:

SPA.LVO.100 Low visibility operations
The operator shall only conduct the following low visibility operations (LVO) when approved by the competent authority:
(a) low visibility take-off (LVTO) operation;
(b) lower than standard category I (LTS CAT I) operation;
(c) standard category II (CAT II) operation;
(d) other than standard category II (OTS CAT II) operation;
(e) standard category III (CAT III) operation;
(f) approach operation utilising enhanced vision systems (EVS) for which an operational credit is applied to reduce the runway visual range (RVR) minima by no more than one third of the published RVR.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message