Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zero-zero takeoff (also low visibility takeoff)

Principles will soon be enshrined in the new Basic Regulation

What does “soon” mean?

Anyway, any future reduction from the 400 meter limit that is connected to some “approval” would likely mean (recurrent) training, paperwork, exams, fees… and thus not be useful for most GA pilots. We need less approvals, not more. But of course you know that.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
What does “soon” mean?

Well, it’s still in Trialogues. My guess is that it will come into effect in 2018.

Anyway, any future reduction from the 400 meter limit that is connected to some “approval” would likely mean (recurrent) training, paperwork, exams, fees… and thus not be useful for most GA pilots. We need less approvals, not more. But of course you know that.

Why do you say that? You can, in principle, get an approval now, though AeroPlus’s experience shows why that is easier said than done. A future change would, if it were to happen, be away from the requirement for an approval.

bookworm wrote:

Why do you say that? You can, in principle, get an approval now, though AeroPlus’s experience shows why that is easier said than done. A future change would, if it were to happen, be away from the requirement for an approval.

To what?

Good evening folks. I’m still a bit confused by this. Here’s a not untypical view from an alleged Scotch farmer’s bathroom window:

Now suppose the poor chiel’s bushplane is waiting patiently about 300 yards west of his hovel with a flight plan for sunny Annemasse.

Did he break the law taking off that morning so as to arrive in time for a steak tartare at Les Papilles with his pals?
Would it be illegal now?
How on earth could the euroaerogestapo’s puppet sleuths in London enforce such a bizarre rule?

Last Edited by Jacko at 17 Jun 19:27
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

My guess is that it will come into effect in 2018

I will come back to you at the end of next year then…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Good evening folks. I’m still a bit confused by this. Here’s a not untypical view from an alleged Scotch farmer’s bathroom window:

I do like a we dram ;-)

Whereas I prefer the zero-zero approach to alcohol. Go figure!

EGKB Biggin Hill

Fuji_Abound wrote:

To what?

That’s up for discussion. It might impose no extra requirements at all for ops in RVR < 400 m, or it might include operational rules, or training requirements, or both.

bookworm wrote:

it might include operational rules, or training requirements, or both.

I am all for operational rules, so long as they are sensible, but I am a little nervous about the training requirements. The €multi-million sims the airlines use may provide an accurate enough rendition for LVPs, but the low end FNTP2s I have seen at ATOs are just too far from the reality in an aircraft to make it realistic, and you really cannot practically train this stuff on the aircraft (how could you plan or simulate a 250m RVR? The point of the training is lost at both 200m and at 300m).

@AeroPlus and I have both written sets of procedures and limitations we would wish to impose on ourselves. Mine are below. I would have thought that they would be the kind of AMC or Guidance Material that could be used. (I am not suggesting that these rules are good for everyone, they are just the SOPs I wrote myself.)

1. LVO are only permitted in aeroplanes of MTOM less than 5.7 Tonnes on non-commercial operations.

2. Passengers will be told that Low Visibility Operations carry higher risks than normal and be given the opportunity to decline to join the flight or deplane at any time.

3. The following visibility minima will apply.

An absolute minimum RVR or visibility of 150m.
ii. In the absence of runway centreline lighting or markings: RVR or visibility of 200m.
iii. In the absence of runway edge lighting: RVR or visibility of 250m.

4. If the aircraft to be flown is an SEP, the operator will review the terrain in the take-off path and will not take-off if an engine failure would result in risk to third-parties, whether in buildings or on roads.

5. If operating from an airfield with Low Visibility Procedures, the pilot will read them before starting engines.

6. The operator will ensure that the runway surface is clear of obstacles, whether by relying on the airfield operator’s inspection or, in the absence of an inspection, by taxying the length of the runway within 15 minutes prior to take-off.

7. A waypoint will be set in the RNAV system on the extended centreline as the first point in the route. Where possible, this should be set at least 2nm from the ARP and the HSI or OBS will be set to provide guidance to that point.

8. All external lights will be switched on for taxiing and take-off.

9. All taxiing will be exactly on taxiway centrelines.

10. Stop bars will not be crossed under any circumstances, even with ATC clearance.

11. If Safe-Taxi is available on the aircraft panel or on a portable device, it will be used.

12. As part of taxiing checks, the pilot will ensure that all artificial horizons and turn co-ordinators are working in the correct sense. If any are not working, they are to be covered, and the minimum equipment will be two working instruments, of which one is an artificial horizon.

13. At an uncontrolled airfield, the pilot will announce his intentions on the VHF frequency most likely to be in use by potential other users of the airfield. This will include a call immediately before applying power or releasing brakes for take-off.

14. The pilot will ensure that the aircraft is aligned on the middle of the runway and will check that all compasses, DGIs and HSIs are indicating the runway QDM. If a heading bug is available it will be set on the runway QDM.

15. If Synthetic Vision is available on the aircraft panel it will be switched on.

16. Immediately before take-off the pilot will ensure that the windscreen is clear of both dew and mist. If the windscreen is not clear, the departure will be discontinued.

17. Before applying power, the pilot will ensure that he has identified correctly the runway edges and centreline if available.

18. During the take-off run, engine parameters will be monitored regularly. Any unusual signs will cause the pilot to stop immediately.

19. In the event of an engine failure or puncture, the throttle(s) will be closed immediately and the aircraft kept straight using nosewheel steering. Maximum braking commensurate with not skidding will be used.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Seems pretty sensible and most does apply to a CAVOK day as well. Thank you for publishing it.

Frequent travels around Europe
Sign in to add your message