Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Site Improvements (merged)

Dan wrote:

I always (and way too frequently…) come on EuroGA thru the Active Threads prompt.

So do I!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Any difference between the desktop and the mobile version is probably just the style sheet. Bootstrap.

Lots of people here know exactly how to do this.

I don’t have data on what % of “real pilots” use Active threads but for the totality of the 100s of k of daily visits it is probably 90% plus. So yes it needs to work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well I hadn’t noticed it in about a year. I may not be representative of the average, but it’s still a data point. Maybe youngsters (I think I can still say that I am one) don’t tend to engage with stuff that has not been presented to them in an obvious way.

And the simple fact that (alledgedly) most visitors use it despite no particular highlighting or CTA (it’s practically plain text just above very eye-catching promoted posts, and no option in the menu) is a design problem IMO. Design matters a lot, and this very important thing is presented as a feature (like using bookmarks, etc.), as opposed to a place, like categories.

Also I don’t think adding an “All post” link to the main menu would break anything.

Anyway, that’s just my 2 cents !

Obviously I’ll be using this a lot more now.

Last Edited by maxbc at 19 Apr 10:28
France

To clarify, do you mean this text?

There is probably a way to edit it (e.g. make it bold) but I can’t find it The site was developed using a CMS and obviously I have the access but don’t want to break anything.

I may not be representative of the average, but it’s still a data point. Maybe youngsters (I think I can still say that I am one) don’t tend to engage with stuff that has not been presented to them in an obvious way.

This is an old but always valid discussion. There is a huge tendency to make websites attractive to dumb people, compounded by a huge fashion for the latest code/style libraries (called “frameworks”). A lot of it depends on the desired audience; on EuroGA we must attract and support intelligent people and they tend to appreciate a more rich UI. I’d say most online communities are designed for clicks and inevitably must attract the whole spectrum because you want advert clicks; the content is barely relevant. FB is the worst example I know, with a useless “group” structure which supports quick and banal one-liners.

I agree the website needs a tidy-up but the only person who can do it fairly quickly is David, the original designer. He’s still “out there” and I can ask him but we need concrete items to do.

As I said the mobile version is probably done with a hack in the Bootstrap style sheet, and the Q is whether anybody here will be interested in putting in a bit of their time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message