Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Site Improvements (merged)

No I mean in individual threads, page one has the latest post with the very last one on top – not the first. Unless I’m hallucinating, it didn’t use to be like that.

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Tango wrote:

No I mean in individual threads, page one has the latest post with the very last one on top – not the first. Unless I’m hallucinating, it didn’t use to be like that.

There’s a button for that. Maybe you unintentionally clicked it.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
There’s a button for that

Live and learn thx for that

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Is there a way or can the feature be added where I just see a list of forum sections when I first go to home page. I don’t want to see default view of what folk are “currently” posting about. Thank you

EGLK, United Kingdom
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Would it be difficult to add a ‘Thank You’ button to a post?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

Would it be difficult to add a ‘Thank You’ button to a post?

I believe we discussed this in the past and @peter told that it was complicated. Maybe he can clarify – I think it would require some major restructuring of forum database adding the additional list attributes to each post. Sometimes the posts are so useful that I really miss “like” feature but OTOH if it’s expensive we can live without it and get something useful instead.

Last Edited by Emir at 27 Feb 22:06
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Administrator

I knew we had it it’s good to remind oneself about opinion in the past and check if anything changed with time passing.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

A Like button is a really horrible feature in the sense that it assists in the creation and support of political axes (“axes” in the meaning of the Franco-Hitler-Mussolini-Hirohito axis). Somebody posts a nasty post and, being very clever, knows exactly how to go right up to the line on the mod policy, and the mod knows that if he acts the whole axis will kick up a big stink, threaten to leave, etc. And a number of people who agree with the post and want to have a swipe at the mod, or at some other target, but don’t have the guts to post and then support their view, just click on the Like button

This is a problem on every forum and particularly on aviation forums, and even more particularly on an international forum of which EuroGA is pretty much the only example in Europe. It is a particular issue on an international forum in Europe because of the rising nationalism across Europe, which is more felt today than ever before, especially post covid, especially post brexit, and especially with the current Russian adventure in Ukraine which is supported by a number of pilots who come from Russia and enjoy the nice life in the West

That is why EuroGA was set up to be a “uniform platform” regardless of where you are or who you are, and with each poster standing up on the value of their posts alone, and not some “appreciation counter” which gets incremented by unknown people but discourages others from posting a differing (but probably valuable) view.

Note also that because here we have a mod who participates in the forum (because he’s a pilot!! – there is no way you could get an unpaid disinterested mod to do the job, for anything less than about 10x the annual donation income) the mod would inevitably accumulate a lot of Likes purely because he posts a lot And myself collecting Likes for my post count is just as wrong as someone else collecting likes for their post count. I quite like (no pun intended) my posts to stand on their own two feet, and if somebody wants to disgree they must be free to do so, and not be discouraged by some huge Like count.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message