Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Site Improvements (merged)

Well, it is true, but they are not necessarily humans. There is a page hit many times every second, at least. Each of these has to be rendered into HTML, etc. And there is end-to-end encryption on everything (HTTPS). The CPU on the virtual server is running at a ~50% load, 24/7.

And there is no practical way for software to determine who is “real”. You could have code to recognise bots, but it still leaves a whole lot of traffic.

EuroGA has very good SEO (search engine optimisation). It comes up very high on google searches.

It would make the optimal implementation of “last edited” of little value.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One thing I really miss is the inability to quote (the easy way, selecting text and clicking quote, not the copy / paste / manually add quote (which leaves poster out) on my phone.

There should be a config for the available editing functions on a portable device, in your profile.

Administrator

I think I have all the right options selected

But…

It might be an iOS / chrome thing

Hmmm you got me stumped. Does it work on anything bigger than a phone e.g. an Ipad?

I am not really familiar with the way this works, however. @David might know.

We have weird issues with this which might be related. Basically the browser highlights some blank lines which then get deleted when the poster starts typing. It’s going to be a nontrivial software fix to auto [re]insert the blank line.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Basically the browser highlights some blank lines which then get deleted when the poster starts typing.

It works on my iphone/safari browser.

1. Higlight text
2. Click anywhere on highlighted text for one second (long press)
3. „Quote“ appears, click that
4. Text quote is inserted

always learning
LO__, Austria

OK so it is just on Chrome on the Iphone that the quote doesn’t work. I can’t test it; with IOS, I have only an Ipad.

The other issue (with the blockquote) is that when the quoted text gets pasted into the new post, and terminated with < blockquote > followed by a new (empty) line, on some devices that empty line is getting highlighted (same effect as if you swiped it) so when the person starts to type their response to the quote, the blank line gets removed. Or some people remove it intentionally, for some weird reason. Due to a “software feature” elsewhere this lack of a blank line messes up the formatting of successive paragraphs. Consequently I end up editing many posts manually, daily.

Administrator

Only 1 person has requested a global mark read button but it’s on the list, if it is easy to do.

The multiple smileys behaviour probably came with a Ruby update early 2019, because it certainly didn’t used to do that.

Administrator

Just a vague hope.

My ancient eyesight has difficulty reading pale grey text quotes on a white background.

Any chance the quoted section could be black text, or some other improved contrast medium?

Egnm, United Kingdom

There is something which causes occassional annoyance: say somebody (a spammer, perhaps) makes a post which is then deleted (by admin), that thread shows a New flag for ever. Well, until somebody makes a new real post on that thread and then things revert to normal.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message